Flash question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

TheMotrCty

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
I've been into photography for several years with Canon DSLR equipment and a wide variety of "L" lenses. I understand aperture, lens speeds, shutter speeds, TTL flash, slave/master, etc. At the present time I have a keen interest in underwater photography at the neophyte level, but have no immediate intention of taking my Canon 1D or 20D underwater. This said, my question is this:

Is there a servicable approach to taking "acceptable" photos under water with a relatively inexpensive plan and using the internal flash on a digital camera? I have several, including a Canon SD630. In other words, can one avoid a strobe setup and still produce "acceptable" photos?

Just wonderin'....

Ron

Yes IF you stick to close up and macro work.....3ft or less. I have had good luck with these types of shots with just an internal flash. In very shallow, clear water...15 ft or less you can do pretty well with no strobe as well.

Sure...if you work within the capabilities of the camera and don't expect it to be a dslr. You don't expect your steak to taste like birthday cake, right? :wink:

And no...if you are expecting a compact to be everything a dslr is. But I assume you know the way compacts are different to what you're used to and that's a compromise you're willing to make.

And maybe...it depends on your definition of "acceptable". For me, this is a total "yes, compacts can produce very acceptable photos". Most of the time it's the photographer, not only the gear, so the better you are with your diving and with using your particular system the better results you will get.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom