Flagtail Tilefish! Indigo Dartfish! Same Dive!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Cacia

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
Fairly exciting for me to see a fish I don't remember seeing before. What beautiful movements! This whitish fish had three dark markings fanning out from his tail, but moved like an animated ballroom dancer...very distinct way of going through the water. Has almost a blunt snake like head. Hoover says it is rarely seen and shares a habitat with Indigo Dartfish which was smaller but looked similiar.

Wow, Flagtail Tilefish was a new one for me. What a stellar site the second reef was, for fish variety.

No pics? No camera? What's up with that?

battery died because it discharged somewhere after the Corsair dive. I forgot to turn the camera off, and some little camera depressed my shutter lever, in the rinse bucket?

UGH...boo-boo. Should say Tilefish. anybody know a Mod?

catherine96821:
battery died because it discharged somewhere after the Corsair dive. I forgot to turn the camera off, and some little camera depressed my shutter lever, in the rinse bucket?
Always happens at the most inopportune time, doesn't it? My camera goes into sleep mode after a short time to save battery. Wish my strobes had that function, too.

I think mine does too, but not if something is pressing the shutter lever.

Sometimes the depth pressure can depress a button and the same thing happens on a dive, BTW.

Good to know, thanks.

Ya gotta go diving in the sand more often. :)

While not as common as the Indigo Dartfish, I've seen the Flagtail Tilefish on several "sand and algae" dives where we wandered along from isolated coral head to isolated coral head off of South Maui. The sand and halimeda in between has a different set of fish than what we normally see on the reef proper.

That's the same sort of area where you'll see cowfish. Common in the Caribbean, but not so often spotted in Hawaii.

Saw a Cowfish today, and a 2 foot baby Whitetip @ Kewalo Pipe. Gave the whitey a belly rub. =)

Back
Top Bottom