FL Keys Trip - Dive Site Suggestions?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Dr. Jay once bubbled...
I'm hoping to make maybe a Sunday or mid-week day trip to Key Largo, and spend most of the rest of the time in the Big Pine area. I haven't heard too much about the diving in Key West. I figured the shallow depths of Looe would be nice for them snorkelers (the 2 other people staying with us).

As for Largo, I'm hoping to do any of the wrecks (Grove, Bibb or Duane), and I'd like to snap some shots of the Christ of the Abyss statue. Sound like a plan, Brent? :D I'm thinking maybe a day of diving (2 trips - 4 dives) would be nice. Any of those done during mid-week?
Just let me know what day you'd like. Let's plan on going deep in the morning (Bibb, Duane, or Grove)... shallow (Christ of the Abyss) in the afternoon. Unless you want lots of floaters in your shots, I'd avoid the statue on weekends. Looe Key is great for snorkeling... Key West is great for partying!

Almost time to head down to the keys for some divin'. If anyone wants to hook up for diving during the week next week give me a PM. My s/o will probably ditch me from some dives anyway :D. I dive a long hose and I don't bite. :tease:

After Sat. I'll probably be disconnected from the information superhighway for the week, unless there's an internet cafe or something down there I can find. I'm also thinking of renting a boat or something, but the fine for pulling a stupid over some coral is kind of a deterrent.

Brent, I look forward to diving with Blue Water Divers, and thanks to all for the information.

We just came back from a trip to Key Largo 10 dives in 3 days. We had 21 divers go and we chartered with Kellys Aqua-Nuts, they did a great job for us. We are scheduled to use them again in July. We dove the Grove twice, you would need like 10 dives to see the whole thing. We have never dove at Big Pine Key so I don't know where to go there. Have a great trip if we can help with anything else just ask. Attached is a picture from the Grove.

DR JAY

Only place I know you can hook up to INTERNET in Key Largo is at the PUBLIC LIBRARY. It is located about the 100 mile mark and is in the big shopping center next to the K-MART store. You can often just walk in and get assigned to a station right away. They have about 10 computers there. However, be prepared for AGONIZINGLY SLOW hook up speed. I take trips to Key Largo twice a year and it allows me to keep in contact and check my emails.

Have fun. I will be envying you as I am stuck in Indiana working until my next Keys run in November & December.

Mike

Looe Key is good for both snorkelers and divers. I suggest 'Innerspace'. They're a little further up the road from the hotels, but they have a nice, stable boat with twin ladders and a crew that's pretty competent, last time I dove with them.

The diving on Looe Key has really eroded over the last few years - it became THE place to dive in the lower keys, and now you head out there and there's literally dozens of boats.

In 1984, when I first dove Looe Key, it was as pristine a reef as any I've found in the Windward Islands...now, it's damaged goods.

There are two spots you should definitely do.

Up the road from Looe Key is Bahia Honda State Park. They used to do SCUBA charters - now just snorkel (insurance is too high for the state park operators).

Their boat is the roughest-riding thing out there. You get beat up even on a 1-2 foot day.

But the park is to die for...was named one of the 10 best beaches in the United States one year. Camping there is awesome.

Sombrero Reef off Marathon is often good. So is Molasses Reef off Key Largo/Pennycamp Park.

I've never been on it, but in July I'm towing my boat to Islamorada. Alligator Reef off Islamorada is supposed to be quite good.

As of late, I'm told the visibility is often better off Islamorada than anyplace else in the Keys. Reason for this is the fact that it's little known. People tend to pass it by on their way to Looe Key/Key West.

Finally, if you must do a Key West Dive, get on a "6-pack" boat just off the island and try to get the captain to take you to 'Eastern Sambo'...very interesting layout and often some small sharks.

THIS POST IS SO FULL OF MISINFO. I CAN NOT LET IT GO BY!!

Spearfisherman once bubbled...
Looe Key is good for both snorkelers and divers. I suggest 'Innerspace'. They're a little further up the road from the hotels, but they have a nice, stable boat with twin ladders and a crew that's pretty competent, last time I dove with them.

ABOUT TWO WEEKS AGO I STOPPED INTO INNERSPACE, THE OWNER JOHN WAS SITTING IN THE STORE WITH THE LIGHTS TURNED OFF, THE A/C TURNED OFF. ALL BECAUSE HE HAS VERY FEW CUSTOMERS. THEY HAVE RUN A 6 PACK BOAT FOR SOMETIME NOW. THAT SHOP CANNOT AFFORD TO RUN A LARGER BOAT WITH THE CUSTOMER BASE THAT THEY HAVE. WE HAVE BEEN LOOKING FOR THAT SHOP TO GO UNDER FOR SOMETIME NOW.

The diving on Looe Key has really eroded over the last few years - it became THE place to dive in the lower keys, and now you head out there and there's literally dozens of boats.

In 1984, when I first dove Looe Key, it was as pristine a reef as any I've found in the Windward Islands...now, it's damaged goods.

LOOE KEY HAS BEEN A PERTECTED SITE FOR SOME 25+ YEARS. 1998 HURRICAN GEORGE CAUSED A LOT OF DAMAGE IN THE ENTIRE KEYS NOT JUST LOOE KEY. GEORGE TOOK ALL THE ELK HORN OFF THE TOP OF THE LOOE KEY REEF. I WAS HERE THROUGH THAT STORM. 1984 IS TWENTY YEARS AGO. ALL THE HEAVY USED REEFS ARE BEING DAMAGED BY DIVERS & SNORKLERS.

There are two spots you should definitely do.

Up the road from Looe Key is Bahia Honda State Park. They used to do SCUBA charters - now just snorkel (insurance is too high for the state park operators).

Their boat is the roughest-riding thing out there. You get beat up even on a 1-2 foot day.

But the park is to die for...was named one of the 10 best beaches in the United States one year. Camping there is awesome.

Sombrero Reef off Marathon is often good. So is Molasses Reef off Key Largo/Pennycamp Park.

I've never been on it, but in July I'm towing my boat to Islamorada. Alligator Reef off Islamorada is supposed to be quite good.

BAHIA HONDA TO LOOE KEY IS A 10-12 MILE RUN, ALL OF THE TRIP IS OUT SIDE THE PROTECTION OF LAND. YOU SAY YOU HAVE NEVER BEEN TO SOMBRERO OR MOLASSES, NOW DO YOU KNOW THAT THEY ARE OFTEN GOOD OR BETTER THEN ANY OTHER SPOT?. THE INSURANCE RATES SHOULD BE THE SAME IF THE BOAT IS DIVING OR SNORKLING, THE SHOP INSURANCE IS FOR LIABILITY ON THE BOAT, AND THERE IS NO DIFFERENTS BETWEEN DIVING AND SNORKLING ON THE BOAT. MOST OF THE TIME THE INST. AND/OR THE DM IS CARRYING THE INSURANCE FOR IN WATER ACTIVITIES NOT THE BOAT.

As of late, I'm told the visibility is often better off Islamorada than anyplace else in the Keys. Reason for this is the fact that it's little known. People tend to pass it by on their way to Looe Key/Key West.

APOST ON 04-05-03 Islamorada vs Marathon--Dive/Fish

DON'T BE MISSED LED, ALL DIVING IN THE KEYS CAN BE GREAT AND CAN BE POOR. THE SAME AS ANYWHERE ELSE. ABOUT THE VISIBILITY, THE GULF STREAM RUNS WEST TO EAST ALONG THE KEYS. THE CLEAR TIDE WATER THAT COMES FROM THE SOUTH AND CENTRAL AMERS., GOES BY KEY WEST FIRST BEFORE IT GETS TO KEY LARGO. VIS WILL CHANGE WITH THE GULF STREAM AND THE TIDE. VIS MAY ALSO CHANGE WITH THE RAIN ON THE KEYS. THE REEF IS THE SAME ALL THE WAY ALONG THE KEYS, LARGO HAS GOOD AND BAD AREAS, THE SAME IN KEY WEST AND ALL POINTS IN-BETWEEN . YOU NEED TO FIND A DIVING OUTFIT THAT YOU LIKE, THE TYPE OF DIVING YOU LIKE TO DO, I WOULD RECOMMEND YOU TRY AS MANY SITES AND DIFFERENT COMPANIES AS YOU CAN, UP AND DOWN THE KEYS. I RECOMMEND YOU STAY WITH A SMALLER BOAT (NOT TO SMALL) INSTEAD OF THE BIGGER CATTLE BOATS. THE SMALLER BOATS CAN TAILOR TO YOUR STYLE OF DIVING. I DEAL WITH CONDITIONS ON BOTH ENDS OF THE KEYS, GOOD AND POOR. I HAVE BEEN ON THE BIBB & DUANE IN GREAT CONDITIONS AND SOME REAL POOR VIS. AND BIG CURRENT ALSO. THE SAME GOES FOR THE EAGLE, TBOLT, BUSCH, AND CAYMAN. SOME YEARS AGO BEFORE THE MOORING BALLS WERE INSTALLED ON THE WRECKS, WE HAD TO BOUNCE THE WRECKS TO GET MOORED. I CAME OFF THE BOAT TO HOOK INTO THE CAYMAN SALVOR IN KEY WEST AREA. WE COULD SEE THE WRECK FROM THE SURFACE IN 90+ FEET OF WATER, BUT WHEN I HIT AT WATER FROM THE SURFACE I COULD SEE THE COMPLETE WRECK, ALL 185'. THAT’S 250+' OF VIS. OTHER TIMES I COULD NOT SEE THE WRECK 15' AWAY. THE POINT IS NO ONE PART OF THE KEYS IS BETTER THEN THE OTHER, THERE ARE SOME DIFFERENT THINGS ABOUT ALL THE AREAS. HAVE FUN AND GO LOOK & TRY AS MUCH A YOU CAN.

RMC
Big Pine Key, FL.

Finally, if you must do a Key West Dive, get on a "6-pack" boat just off the island and try to get the captain to take you to 'Eastern Sambo'...very interesting layout and often some small sharks.

EASTERN SAMBO HAS BEEN A NO USE ZONE WHEN NOAA TOOK OVER CONTROL OF THE REEF (about 5 years ago). YOU CAN NOT DIVE, SNORKLE OR MOOR TO THAT PART OF THE REEF. MIDDLE SAMBO & WESTERN SAMBO IS STILL OPEN. SUNDAY THE CHARTER WAS AT SAFEHARBOR #1 AND THE DIVERS GOT TO SEE FOUR NURSE'S ,ONE THAT WAS 8-9FOOT. THIS KIND OF THING IS COMMON DOWN HERE, ALL UP AND DOWN THE KEYS. THAT'S WHY DIVERS LIKE IT HERE ALONG WITH THE WARM WATER.

RMC:viking:
Big Pine Key, FL.
SCUBA INSTRUCTOR
CAPTAIN
TEN YEAR RESIDENT IN THE LOWER KEYS

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom