FL Keys Trip - Dive Site Suggestions?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Dr. Jay

Contributor
Reaction score
Well....the Keys trip is coming up in a couple of weeks. I'll be headed to Big Pine Key for a week in June. I'm hoping to get a bunch of dives in, but I've got to get the support of the rest of the group first. I'm going with one other diver, my girlfriend (whom some of you met at Ginnie)...and two others - both non-divers. I'm hoping to con them out on to a boat for snorkeling while we go diving, and I was thinking that Looe Key (just off Big Pine) would be a good place to do that.

Basically, I'll be wanting to take pictures....LOTS of pictures, and I figured the shallow reefs would be a better place to do that without a strobe. Plus it makes things easier for the snorkelers and less-experienced divers.

I found some dive ops for Looe Key. Any comments?

Looe Key Reef Resort and Dive Center
Paradise Divers
Strike Zone Charters
Innerspace Dive Center
Reef Divers

However, I'd also like to make a trip out to Key Largo (can't miss the divin' there) maybe for 4 dives (a total of 2 trips) during the week. I'm thinking of Blue Water Divers :D. I figure I'll kinda be limited to whatever dive sites they're doing that particular day anyway.

I've been prowling around the North America forum, and I saw some of the suggestions for dive sites in the upper keys. So, I guess my main questions are:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Any "have-to-dive" spots off of Big Pine Key (or in the area - maybe Key West?) - Looe Key?

Any good dive ops that would tolerate snorkelers?

Anything I just gotta do while in the keys? - It'll be my first trip down there!

Thanks,
Jason

Dr. Jay once bubbled...
Well....the Keys trip is coming up in a couple of weeks. I'll be headed to Big Pine Key for a week in June.
I found some dive ops for Looe Key. Any comments?

Looe Key Reef Resort and Dive Center
Paradise Divers
Strike Zone Charters
Innerspace Dive Center
Reef Divers

However, I'd also like to make a trip out to Key Largo (can't miss the divin' there) maybe for 4 dives (a total of 2 trips) during the week. I'm thinking of Blue Water Divers :D. I figure I'll kinda be limited to whatever dive sites they're doing that particular day anyway.

I've been prowling around the North America forum, and I saw some of the suggestions for dive sites in the upper keys. So, I guess my main questions are:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Any "have-to-dive" spots off of Big Pine Key (or in the area - maybe Key West?) - Looe Key?

Any good dive ops that would tolerate snorkelers?

Anything I just gotta do while in the keys? - It'll be my first trip down there!

Thanks,
Jason

Captain Jim Wyatt at Reef Divers runs an excellent operation from 30 foot reefs out to the Wilkes Barre. Both of his boats are six pack boats so you won't be with a crowd.

Try to do a dive on the Aldolphus Busch. Great wreck! And it has a resident jewfish (so I'm not politically correct), I beleive this is the wreck where you can enter at deck level and swim up 4 flights of stairs to the wheel house. Its freaky to swim upstairs. And don't worry, there is holes cut in so its not an overhead dive.

I haven't been to Looe Key since 1977, but it was spectacular.
If you plan on using Bluewater in Key Largo (Good Idea) go ahead & PM keylargobrent as soon as you know dates, and you might be able to name the destination.
The Grove is a must see, and the duane aint bad either.
Elbow reef is a good shallow dive.
We want to see pictures, check your battery..:wink:
Enjoy & Dive safe.

Cotrell (spelling??) is on the Gulf side. It's an ok reef and great for snorklers...the water is about 14' deep.

I dive Island Adventures, mile marker 104, in Key Largo. They don't mind snorklers as long as there's room, plus they pay a bubble watcher fee. Real cool captain and flexible as to where you dive. Molassess reef has some really great spots and shallow enough for snorklers to enjoy some sites. BEWARE OF THE SEA LICE, it has been running pretty thick through the keys, a dive trip 2 weeks ago sent my girlfriend to the ER to get steriod shots, makes a trip just a little more expensive when you gotta visit the hospital.

in Key Largo include "Fire Coral Cave" on Molasses Reef, "Pillar Corals" just north of Pickles Reef, and "Snapper Ledge" just south of Pickles Reef. The Elbow Reef features diver-friendly critters and several shallow coral-encrusted old wrecks at depths of 20-30'. North Dry Rocks and North North Dry Rocks are very nice when seas are flat and the blue water is in. Sea ya soon!

for when you stop in Largo, anywhere in Pennekamp state park is always fun. really shallow dives, and LOTS of fish. they take refuge there since it's protected. and if you've never been, you just gotta see the christ statue, because really, who doesn't?

plus there's other stuff to do there, personally I like kayaking the mangroves, can see baby cudas, and the occasional baby nurse shark. crystal clear waters.

Underseas Inc on Big Pine is the primo operator diving Looe Key.Dives range from 4'-30' and snorkellers mix with divers.Lots of oportunities for shallow camera action .The Busch is also really cool with sevearal resident jewfish up to a least 400#.Currents can be hight at the Busch at times.Both places have usually spectacular vis 80'+ and the chance to see large creatures.Last year the list was....Spotted Eagle ray,Jewfish,Blackfin tuna,Tarpon,Snook,Nassau grouper ,Several species of shark from Hammerhead to Nurse to Blacktip and Lemon,Black grouper,shoals of Barracuda.These are just the larger animals.Looe Key also has many lobster to photograph on the shore side of the reef in 6' of water.I usually have abot 50 dives a year between the 2 and another 50-100 lobstering and spearfishing in the area.Never get tired of it.

I'm definately planning on doing the Aldolphus Busch. Hopefully I can find a DM down there that knows those swim-throughs like you mentioned, Wendy.

We'll actually be staying on Little Torch Key from June 7th through June 14th. I'm hoping to make maybe a Sunday or mid-week day trip to Key Largo, and spend most of the rest of the time in the Big Pine area. I haven't heard too much about the diving in Key West. I figured the shallow depths of Looe would be nice for them snorkelers (the 2 other people staying with us).

As for Largo, I'm hoping to do any of the wrecks (Grove, Bibb or Duane), and I'd like to snap some shots of the Christ of the Abyss statue. Sound like a plan, Brent? :D I'm thinking maybe a day of diving (2 trips - 4 dives) would be nice. Any of those done during mid-week?

I'm definately going to check out Underseas Inc. This is the only website I've found for them.

HarleyDiver once bubbled...
We want to see pictures, check your battery..:wink:
:banging:....:D. I owe you and _Kurt_ lots of pics for that one.

The kayaking sounds like a fun idea too.

Awesome suggestions guys....you are so cool....keep em' comin'

Jason

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom