Fixing Drysuit Neck Seal

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

helexia23

New
Reaction score
I'm replacing the neck seal I ripped on my old DUI TLS 350. Is it better to glue the new seal to the old seal, or completely remove the old seal and glue it directly to the trilaminate? I don't want to mess up any glue near the zipper, as the neck seal comes real close to it.

8cb9e5317578cc82d9a5a2c03c4e1b11.jpg

If you are insistent on completing this as a DIY then it's better to keep it simple and affix the new seal without removing the old one. Use the tape that we carry mentioned above by Tbone to complete the install. Or you could send it to us for a professional repair. :D

I replaced my neck and wrist seals a couple of months ago on my drysuit. I removed the old seals. I found the easiest way to do it was with a hair dryer set on low to remove the old seal. You need to be very careful not to burn the suit however (lowest heat setting, hair dryer about 1 ft away, directed to the seal for a couple of seconds max, remove a bit of seal, and repeat). removing the seal took far longer than replacing the seals. Alternatively, you can glue on top of the old seals. I think the wrist seals took me about an hour and half, the neck an hour and 15 or so. And I've seen shoddier professional jobs

Who ask questions like this are kindly recommended to leave the old seal and glue the new seal on the old one.

Bonding two pieces of same material (latex and latex) is always much easier than bonding two different materials (suit fab. and latex).

Applying heat is good technique to remove the old seal, but it damages suit body unless temperature and heating time are very carefully chosen. It is possible only for experienced people.

Back
Top Bottom