Fixing closed heel fin pocket?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

trigfunctions

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hi all - I have a pair of full foot Tusa split fins that i really like:
Tusa Full Foot Split Zoom Fins, Fins, Tusa, Tusa Full Foot Split Zoom Fins

One of the fins has developed a small vertical tear, about 3/4-inch, on the side of the foot pocket perpendicular from the top edge.

I tried using Aquaseal to glue a small strap across the tear, but the Aquaseal peals off of the rubber foot pocket.

Does anyone have any other ideas for how to fix this tear? Thanks, trig

duct tape :)

Actually, I suspect you'll have trouble getting anything to hold up. A tear in a strap type fin is easier to patch up temporarily, wrapping duct tape around it since it can stick to itself sort of works. Or some other kind of strap like 2 sided velcro. Hard to do that with full foot.

Anyway, if you've developed a tear in one fin the other might not be far behind. I'd be looking at new fins. These aren't real expensive, if you really like them why not get another pair and then you'll have a spare.

Yeah, I've thought about buying another pair, but that's just another thing to store. Does anyone know of a glue that will stick to rubber underwater? I might try PVC pipe glue.

Yeah, I've thought about buying another pair, but that's just another thing to store. Does anyone know of a glue that will stick to rubber underwater? I might try PVC pipe glue.

There is a "kicker" chemical out there for rubber cement- Try a flyfishing shop. They use the stuff all the time to repair waders (or used to, before goretex took over- you should still be able to find it) and I think the kicker is the key to getting it to adhere longterm underwater. But hey, by the time you get the aquaseal and the kicker and waste a saturday on the project, you coulda had a brand new pair. Call LP and see what they'll do for you on a price- $35 or so it's worth it to just toss the old ones.

Hi all - I have a pair of full foot Tusa split fins that i really like:
Tusa Full Foot Split Zoom Fins, Fins, Tusa, Tusa Full Foot Split Zoom Fins

One of the fins has developed a small vertical tear, about 3/4-inch, on the side of the foot pocket perpendicular from the top edge.

I tried using Aquaseal to glue a small strap across the tear, but the Aquaseal peals off of the rubber foot pocket.

Does anyone have any other ideas for how to fix this tear? Thanks, trig

My wife has the same full foot fins and hers ripped in Bonaire this year. I tried Aquaseal and it seems to be bonding but we haven't tried the fin yet. Did the Aqualseal peel right off or did you get the fin wet and then it peeled off. So far the bond looks strong but we won't know until she tries the fins again. I used the primer to clean the area before applying the Aquaseal and I guess we will see if it holds.

As with any product, you should consult with your authorized retailer where the purchase was made and they can certainly aid in the warranty claim process with the manufacturer. The FF-9 foot pocket has a potential to rip or tear as any full foot silicone foot pocket fin, however, the defective percentage is incredibly low. Sorry to hear of the trouble, contact your AD or our corporate offices and an RA# can be issued for return and replacement.

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom