Five-metre great white shark lunges out of the water at a photographer...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Wish I'd not just seen that.
You'll be F-I-N-E Simon, they just hate photographers :D
I'd say most divers have been close to a decent sized shark at least once, just not aware of it.
GWS camera bite.jpg

I did a night dive off Tathra wharf (South Coast NSW) where an unfortunate local woman swimming laps was completely eaten in two passes by a GWS not long after.
I'm sure it came in mooching about attracted by our lights, we saw some fleeting movement at the edge of the light field in poor viz... maybe a seal, maybe not?
No repeat night dives...!

I'd say most divers have been close to a decent sized shark at least once, just not aware of it.
I have seen a few, the one I did not see until it 'bumped' me was a Bull shark, no bite just a big bump, as in "bugger off", and we did, Sydney Harbour mid 80s.
Picked on me and left the others alone, not a big shark, but hit me hard.
Bull sharks have 'attitude', they may be puppies in some parts of the world, not here.
Now GWS , biggest I have ever seen was here 1976, at a guess it was >15' , looked at the 2 of us and just slid away as smooth as silk :eek: no effort at all.
Google Maps

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom