Fitting A Miflex Hose On Hollis DC2 1st Stage?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

EllieCee

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hi,

Has anyone actually done this? When I try to fit one, it appears that the recess on the 1st stage body isn't wide enough, and without forcing it, the nut of the hose looks like it starts fouling the 1st stage body before it seats home properly. Has anyone actually fitted one without damaging either the 1st stage, or the nut of the Miflex hose?

Thanks, Ellie

Thanks for the link, but it seems to be more to do with spacings between ports for computer transmitters etc. My problem is more that the Miflex hose doesn't seem to screw in properly because the recess around the port is not big enough.

Thanks for the link, but it seems to be more to do with spacings between ports for computer transmitters etc. My problem is more that the Miflex hose doesn't seem to screw in properly because the recess around the port is not big enough.

...it's sounding more and more like maybe Hollis chose to use shallow-machined 1st-stage ports ? I've got a few after market HP port-splitters I had to trash because the manufacturer failed to bore the 'holes' deeply enough, making it impossible to screw in all the way the SPG/computer HP hoses, so the HP O-ring would immediately blow on pressurization......so I had to switch to a different HP post-splitter manufacturer and all is well now.
...I'm still not quite picturing why you're having this problem.....I recently upgraded 2 Atomics and an Apex to MIFLEX......and am about to upgrade another 3 regs this weekend (Mares/Apex/Aqualung) to all MIFLEX...and NONE are having the problem you describe.
...you need to measure/compare the # of threads on the MIFLEX hose to the # of threads on the OEM hoses.....if the MIFLEX threaded length is 'too long', then maybe Hollis did undermachine/under bore the 1st-stage holes and it's impossible to use MIFLEX in this application.
...have to PM'ed/post this question to the Hollis rep on the manufacturer's SB forum ?

Thanks for the reply. The problem isn't actually inside the port itself, its the recessed hole around the port hole. I use Miflex hoses on my Apeks regs no problem, but on those, the machined face where the nut would sit is totally flat. On the DC2 they appear to have slightly recessed the body of the 1st stage around the port hole, meaning that the recess diameter seems just too small to take the Miflex. The Hollis hose fits because the nut does not sit against the O-ring, its higher up with a metal sleeve that goes down to the O-ring and threads that screw into the port.

I'll try and post some piccies if it helps.

I have posted this on the Hollis specific thread but have yet to receive a reply.

The Recess....

IMG_2479.jpg

And, the Miflex next to the Hollis hose. Spot the difference! :)

IMG_2475.jpg

I've had a look at those adapters, but am quite surprised that a supposed top of the range technical regulator would require adding extra failure points to the reg to be able to use different hoses. As no one has come forward and said they have managed to fit them directly it's looking like the only way.

I've had a look at those adapters, but am quite surprised that a supposed top of the range technical regulator would require adding extra failure points to the reg to be able to use different hoses. As no one has come forward and said they have managed to fit them directly it's looking like the only way.

...sometimes you're just unlucky in trying to mix-and-match components across different brands......someone @ Hollis just didn't think of the fact their design wouldn't fit a MIFLEX hose.....maybe MIFLEX didn't even exist when the Hollis was designed....given MIFLEX popularity, I'm guessing all future reg designs will be keeping MIFLEX compatability in mind going forward....

Maybe they designed the reg so that you have to use their proprietary hoses creating captive customers for their products. It's been done before.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom