fishing line

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

blacknet

Contributor
Reaction score
hello,

Does anyone know which type of fishing line is very difficult to cut with a knife? I want to get some of it to test my dive knives and see if they will past some testing. It is my theory that most 'dive knives' on the market are of poor quality.

Ed

Stainless steel line used in some commercial ops....

Joewr

Hello,

They was saying it was some type of mono line. Know of any other besides the ss line?

Ed

In the ocean you have Stainless Steel and your nylon braid.

In Freshwater you have your Superlines and your MONO.

which brands Well Spiderline makes both a braid and a mono
so does Berkley and Stren. In all the propoganda materials they mention that they're abrasion resistant. granted the superlines are tougher to cut.

if you are looking for line to test are a rule the more expensive the line tougher to cut.

Personaly I use shears, takes only ONE hand to cut and will cut faster easier than a knive in most situations.

Hello,

well I'm getting a pair of emt shears and put my box cutter w/ a hooked blade on my bc for such things :wink:

Ed

Considering I am an ex-EMT I love the things. They are designed to cut ANYTHING. I had an instructor cut a penny in half to prove the point. I don't know how bad they will rust in saltwater, but they are generally cheaper than a knife.

Tom

A company called Innovative Scuba Concepts makes shears specifically made for diving. They are callled Sea Snips and are about the same quality as the EMT shears. They generally cost less than $20 and come with a case that you can attach to your BC. Don't quote me on this, but I believe that they are less likely to rust than the EMT version. I will look up their website info tomorrow for you along with any other info. I can find.

They'll still rust if you don't take care of them. The problem area seems to be the rivet that holds them together. Rinse and slightly oil them to avoid rust.

Blacknet,

I think you are refering to the "super" lines that Fishkiller mentioned. They are a blend of mono and braid and what makes them hard to cut with a knife is the Kevlar blend of material they are made of.

Hope this helps

ID........friend of all scaled creatures.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom