Fishing in Ras Mohammed National Park??? :(

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

divebunnie

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
Please share and sign this petition to overturn the recent decision taken by the governor of Sinai to allow fishing in the Ras Mohammed National Park.

We are astounded by his actions, the whole area is an official Marine Protected Area, covered by laws set in place since 1983.

This time of year is also the very time that we get the beginnings of the famous fish aggregations of summer, where huge shoals of snapper and blue scaled emperors gather in order to spawn. Not only is this an incredible sight to witness, it is also a vital part of the local ecosystem and it would be a tragedy if greed and corruption result in the decimation of this area.

Please even if you have never been here, or never plan to dive here, and especially if you have been here (you guys know what we would be losing), sign and share this petition:

the petition

Last edited:
Hi divebunnie
Of course I placed a petition on the link

TO ALL PEOPLE WHO ARE LIVING OR CARE ABOUT SINAI STOP THIS MADNESS BY ANY MEANS (Easy way or the Hard way)

What is happening is BS and should be stopped. Sinai was, is and always will be a protected area. everyone in the world has the right to come and see the beauty of the sea and the magic of the marine life there. Specially in Ras Mohamed and Tiran. I wish I was there, there will be a new wreck dive sites called "Fishing Boats"

Dear Red Sea Shadow,
will you please keep us updated with the situation there ?!!

Dear Red Sea Shadow,
will you please keep us updated with the situation there ?!!

I don't have much to say. What others might want to know is that Scuba Travel (one of the big tour operators) has contacted some authorities to confirm this piece of news and stress the fact that they're pissed off.

This is truly stupid. :shakehead: Have signed.

I'm visiting at the end of July, hopefully there will be fish left to see.... :depressed:

sjwhite26

Keep you fingers crossed, we all hope so.

I only heard this news today - not only has the national park been opened for the locals but I was told that at least 5 licenses have been granted for tourist game fishing trips. In the national park. I made my safety stop outside Shark reef yesterday and I counted 53 snappers (yes, I really did count them. Okay it was 55 if you count the two ugly ones who were hanging out away from the main group hoping somebody will take pity and spawn with them)

They could be taken in a day. And it's mating season and spawning time for pretty much everything at the moment. Stupid stupid stupid.

Petition signed.

C.

Red Sea Shadow

Do you know if it was because of "public opinion" or some other reason?

Either way, its great news for the Reef, the Fish, and the Dive industry in general....

Al

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom