Fisheye FIX Lights Comparison

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jetpilot379

Registered
Reaction score
I am on the verge of purchasing a focusing light for my D200 w/new 105 macro. At the moment I've settled on the Fisheye FIX lights. Though I'm not 100% stuck on them; this is what I think I want.

Three questions:

1. Has anyone..., or does anyone know of any comparisons between the HG20DX versus the LED48DX?

2. Is there that big a difference between these two light, performance-wise, that would justify the 20DX costing $130.00 more than the 48DX?

3. I have read in numerous threads and articles that the 20DX has had problems with bulbs burning out inordinately quickly. Does anyone know if Fisheye has rectified this apparent problem?

Many thanks for the anticipated input.

I have the Fisheye 20DX. Orginally bought it to use with a Canon S80 for macro shots without a flash. Worked well for that purpose.

1. I used the light all the time resulting in 2 bulbs being replaced over a period of 90dives. The bulb lasted as advertised of about 30-40 hours of use.
2. The battery charger was not so good. Meaning sometimes it works and sometimes it did not. Had to re-adjust the battery within the charger over and over to make work it properly. Also heard of several other issues of not charging and overcharging. This problem has been corrected (by the mfg) and in the shop I work at occassionally (www.fun-in.com.tw) has had no recent issues with returns.

Now I use the light on a S&S housed Nikon D200 w/60mm lens. When the light is needed for focusing I turn it on at its lowest power. This bulb has lasted over 100dives....but I only turn it on when the camera is unable to focus which is rarely. My opinion is that the Fisheye 20DX is overkill for a focus light on a DSLR camera. Certainly you can suffice with a lesser light.

Hope that helps....

Shellback:

Thanks for the info!

Glad to hear the bulbs last a decent amount of time, though..., as you stated; it may be overkill, (financially too!) I may consider the LED48DX; especially since the LED bulbs last thousands of hours, and no charger needed. Just normal batteries.

So many lights on the market to choose from!

I have the LED version. Nice light, even use it as my primary light for night dives. But sometimes, I wish I had the extra power of HG20DX as my Canon 100mm macro lens AF needs a lot of light to lock focus, expecially if I can't get close to the subject.

So do either of these focus lights shut off as that shot is taken or does it stay on, and if it stays on, does the focus light show up in any shots?

So do either of these focus lights shut off as that shot is taken or does it stay on, and if it stays on, does the focus light show up in any shots?

they are not synced with the shutter. I've never hada problem with the focus light beam showing up. Maybe if you were using it for wide angle ambient shots...

Pakman:

Good advice about having the extra power of the 20DX versus the 48 DX. "Better to have it and not need it, than to need it and not have it."

Fisheyeview:

Thanks for the info and link. I'll check it out.

Have you had any issues with the HG20DX bulb(s) burning out prematurely???

They are constant on.

The 20 - which is the one I have, has a variable intensity. I have noticed a measure of increased backscatter / flock / snow in my Nudi shots, as the flotsam between the lens and the subject is now illuminated.

That said, I'm also able to secure shots (night shots and really yucky day shots) that I was unable to lock focus on before I added the light. It makes my shooting faster and more efficient. The 105 no longer endlessly searches for focus lock on these poor-viz dives.

The small amount of flock is worth it, to me. Its easy to pick out.

Hey Jet - I bought a back up bulb. Its cheap insurance.

---
Ken

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom