Fisheye distortion: Are you guys lightweights?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

cooly-o:
With the assumption that he is at howard@fantasea.com, I've sent him the request for info. Any info you might have in the meantime would be appreciated.

I am so frustrated, I just wrote a half hour response to Cooly-o only to have it gobbled it up by the website. It just dissappeared on me!!!

Anyway, I just got off Febrina in PNG testing our latest housing (the CP-5 for the Nikon Coolpix 4200 and 5200 cameras) and accessory systems for Inon, Epoque, Sea and Sea and 10 Bar accessory lenses for our Nikon Coolpix housing line. http://www.fantasea.com/email/housings_may_04.htm

We will soon have both bayonet and thread mounts for 43mm, 55mm, and 67mm lenses. Basically all accessory lenses should be accommodated in our system. Please keep an eye on our website www.fantasea.com for announcements and you can see the results of our testing very soon in our website Gallery
http://www.fantasea.com/gallery.asp which also features the quality of images from our customers usings our various CP housings and accessories (arms, trays, strobes, LED lights, and much more to come!!) all at the best prices in the marketplace.

Please feel free to email me anytime. I will be back home in Israel next week to sort our the images and catch up on my neglected correspondences (sorry about that).

Safe Diving
Howard
info@fantasea.com

HMan:

Thanks for the response Howard. I have a August the 18th trip to Maui (18th to Sept 2nd). I'm only snorkling but I am still considering a WAL and would love the extra coverage such as a Dome lens would provide.

So this 67mm adaptor thing is a make it or brake it thing here for my perhaps once in a lifetime trip (give or take). Howard please come through.....

This lens thing just might actually convert my snorkling Maui butt into a Scuba enthusiast. Hey, I live in Socal (Huntington Beach) so this just might happen.

Actually I think snorkling would have plenty of opportunity to want a wider angle since everything is pretty "up close". BTW, how competitive is the INON UFL-165AD Lens compared to the "Inon UWL-100 & Inon Dome Port" (specs: here ) setup; (this link has the seperate Dome setup as $329 (WAL) + $389 (dome) = $718.

Per currrency converter the "INON UFL-165AD Super Wide Lens" = 37,000 Japenese Yen = $332.159 US

Am I missing someting or is a UFL-165AD at $332 a great deal compared to $718?????

BTW see Dee's advise on 07-12-2004 for ordering with Yuzo per e-mail (info@naturephoto.co.jp)

Well, the UFL limits itself to 165deg wide angle where as the combo of the fisheye the UWL100 allows u for 100deg and 131deg. The new range also has the 105deg wide angle. so combined cost still around the same.. just split into 2 lens

OK.. This is how the new adapter with the Inon UCL-165m67 looks like...

The last pic shows the component of the adapter as well as the macro lens (lens on top, base adapter below, step-up ring in the middle). I did not see the AD mount at the 10 bar shop but would not mind it for the new Inon wide angle lenses. :wink:

Wolverine:
Well, the UFL limits itself to 165deg wide angle where as the combo of the fisheye the UWL100 allows u for 100deg and 131deg. The new range also has the 105deg wide angle. so combined cost still around the same.. just split into 2 lens

The other advantage of the AD mount lenses is the dome is not fixed for a dive like on thread mounts. You can change between the 105 and the 165 durning the dive. The 131 deg dome is attached before heading down and cant be taken off below (from what I know).

The is one reason I decided to get the AD mounts.

lukeROB:
The other advantage of the AD mount lenses is the dome is not fixed for a dive like on thread mounts. You can change between the 105 and the 165 durning the dive. The 131 deg dome is attached before heading down and cant be taken off below (from what I know).

The is one reason I decided to get the AD mounts.
That is true.. when I was at 10bar, i was not certain that they have a AD ring adapter. Anyway, I have 2 adapters (one custom built for 67mm). Can always change the adapter ring for AD mount to fit the new Inon wide angles. Will cost though.....*looking into wallet*

Wolverine:

I'm a little confused, what does an "AD mount" mean (what kind of mount)? Doesn't this site make is seem that it is a standalone product? The picture there certainly doesn't make it appear as if it attaches on top of a WAL. The only thing it says (in red) is "INON AD mount adapter for each housing is required."

Is it the "INON UWL-105AD Wide Lens" and "INON AD mount adapter" the same thing?

This site has the UWL-105AD at 22,800 Yen; currency converter = $204.090 U.S.

$332+$204 = $534 for INON UFL-165AD Fisheye Converter and UWL-105AD WAL, respectively. Is my math correct so far (e.g. $534)? Prices per here. How can you say this is around the same (i.e. $718)?

Now how much for a custom (or sounds more like a Fantasea prototype) adapter?

I did get an e-mail reply back from Yuzo. 2,650 Yen(currency converter = $23.73 US dollars) shipping to Europe (I'll have to tell him I'm from California).

BTW, when they say you can't take a lens off underwater, is that due to pressure? If so, than what depth does such pressure begin to be a problem? Doesn't sound like much of a problem for snorklers...hey?

How well does the CP-4 supplied flash diffuser stick-on perform on reducing "backscatter"?

(a) Inon lens come with 2 types of mounts: AD (bayonet style) and 67mm screw threads. Hence the different adapters.
(b) For some housings, there is already a thread/AD mount in place. If you don't, you would need to install a mount (eg the "AD Adapter Mount"). The problem is that adapter mounts are different for each housing. So you really have to do your research (or conversely ask Yuzo)which adapter would fit.
(c) For Fantasea, the adapter is fitted on the housing using o-rings to hold it in place. Efficient and easy to put on/remove underwater. You can fit either 67mm rings or an AD ring on the adapter to suit the add-on lens. The default is 55mm (I think).
(d) On the pricing, u are absolutely right. The combo is ard USD80 lower (the UWL100+Dome is ard USD605 not USD718 using Yuzo's site). Interesting..wonder why... The 67mm mount is a little more expensive though (at least for the macro lens)
(e) I got the adapter from 10Bar (which makes them for fantasea I think) at around HKD I think. Check with Howard on his price.
(f) Think Inon lenses can be attached and detached underwater.
(g) That white sticker that u stick on the housing helps a little in reducting back scatter but ideally, you would need an external strobe.

Hope this helps...

I'm shifting gears and may now buy a video housing for my Canon ZR-40. See my thread here. This may be a better place to spend my money considering the added capability as oppossed to just opening up the FOV.

Yuzo e-mailed me back and said:

"INON UFL-165AD lens, to use this lens, it is no need combination with other
wide angle lens.
You will have 165 degrees angle with only this lens.
But the angle will be a little changed with each model of camera.

But is your housing fantasea CP-4? It is required AD lens mount adapter.
I don't know "Fantasea" supplies AD mount or not.

And of course it is changable underwater.

PS: shipping cost to U.S, then it is 2,270yen

Thank you

Yuzo
"

So that should put the price back at $332 (not counting the elusive adaptor), right?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom