Fish question?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Does anyone know what disease many of these fish have all over Texas? A whitish colored fungus that grows on their sides in clumps. I first noticed the disease at Aquarena a few years ago but have seen it in multiple locations more recently. I have only seen this fungus on the Texas Cichlids (pr. Sick-lidz), not on other fish species. Have picture of this at home, can post it later if needed.

I saw this on a 3 foot catfish at Bob Wentz State Park under the platform, gray looking catfish, big with that white fungus stuff all over him in Lake Travis.

I look forward to seeing your picture to see if it is the same.

How many fish would you estimate you've seen up close like that on the underwater cam, Shawn?

BTW, as Rumbum already mentioned, Rio Grande Perch and Rio Grande Chiclid are different names for the same fish.
I was informed that it is a:

Texas Cichlid

Well it is amazing what I see checking out that underwater camera during the day at work. Pretty cool stuff.........:D

Shawn O.

myFOXaustin.com | Underwater Web Cam at Aquarena Center

I know my u/w photography is not the best, but these pics show the disease.

Attachments

• IMG_2094.jpg
    IMG_2094.jpg
    261.3 KB · Views: 31
  • IMG_2099.jpg
    IMG_2099.jpg
    394.3 KB · Views: 31
I saw this on a 3 foot catfish at Bob Wentz State Park under the platform, gray looking catfish, big with that white fungus stuff all over him in Lake Travis.

I look forward to seeing your picture to see if it is the same.

where is Bob Wentz state park? I am familiar with Bob Wentz county park, and also with Barstows next door, both on Windy Point on Lake Travis. And the platforms I am familiar with off windy point are all in Travis off of Barstows 'family park' or 'public park'(according to the signage, although it is neither) area.

Thanks for posting the pics, I love to ID the fish I see locally, but haven't seen a fish ID book or cards for the local fresh water fishies yet, although TPW has a great fish id list on their site.

How many fish would you estimate you've seen up close like that on the underwater cam, Shawn?

BTW, as Rumbum already mentioned, Rio Grande Perch and Rio Grande Chiclid are different names for the same fish.

I would say checking on it daily, maybe 4 times a week I see something cool.

But I don't always catch the snapshot image. Yesterday a Sunfish was right on the side checking out the camera and I was not able to catch it. But it looked pretty for about a minute.

where is Bob Wentz state park? I am familiar with Bob Wentz county park, and also with Barstows next door, both on Windy Point on Lake Travis. And the platforms I am familiar with off windy point are all in Travis off of Barstows 'family park' or 'public park'(according to the signage, although it is neither) area.

Thanks for posting the pics, I love to ID the fish I see locally, but haven't seen a fish ID book or cards for the local fresh water fishies yet, although TPW has a great fish id list on their site.

Same place you mention.

I would say checking on it daily, maybe 4 times a week I see something cool.

But I don't always catch the snapshot image. Yesterday a Sunfish was right on the side checking out the camera and I was not able to catch it. But it looked pretty for about a minute.

What!? I thought you were too busy at work to be sittin' around watchin' the fish cam. Sounds to me like you have plenty of time on your hands to go diving, buddy!:wink:

What!? I thought you were too busy at work to be sittin' around watchin' the fish cam. Sounds to me like you have plenty of time on your hands to go diving, buddy!:wink:

Yep, actually taking lunch breaks this week with an installation project going on. It's pretty calm.

Attached is a pic from the fish cam a couple minutes ago.

Shawn O.

myFOXaustin.com | Underwater Web Cam at Aquarena Center

Attachments

• oct 15th fish uw cam pic.jpg
    oct 15th fish uw cam pic.jpg
    56.3 KB · Views: 40

Back
Top Bottom