Fish ID Please! Tropical in North Atlantic?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

a1a9

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I saw this fish off Cape Ann in Gloucester MA though I don’t think its native. Possibly a tropical? Can someone help me ID her? She is about 6" long and seemed very interested in what I was doing.

Attachments

• Picture 015.jpg
    Picture 015.jpg
    247.5 KB · Views: 911
I am not certain about this, but I would guess that it is a pilot fish (Naucrates ductor). This is based on the photos and description in Humann & DeLoache 2nd ed. p.80-81. However, the ventral fins look too large. Perhaps a different member of the same family?
You might also want to take a look at the sheepshead (Archosaragus probatocephalus). The ventral fins are a closer match.

Def not a sheepshead, caught and fried many of them.

I saw this fish off Cape Ann in Gloucester MA though I don’t think its native. Possibly a tropical? Can someone help me ID her? She is about 6" long and seemed very interested in what I was doing.

My guess is the man-of-war fish--Nomeus gronovii

That's a juvenile banded rudderfish.

Back
Top Bottom