Fish ID - Juvenile in Bonaire

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

BFRedrocks

ScubaBoard Sponsor
ScubaBoard Sponsor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Caught this fish in my lens while taking a photo of a Lettuce Slug and was curious what it was. I'm leaning towards a juvenile triggerfish, but I've heard other opinions from folks. It couldn't have been more than an inch or two long.

Thanks!

20180226-DSC02029copy.jpg

That's a Sharpnose Puffer!

The face spots and lines and the body shape identify it. It's fully grown, and not a juvenile.

Sharpnose Puffer

They're somewhat common, and a fun fish to photograph. I once had a summer where I made it a goal to find one on every dive.

Yep, sharpnose puffer. One of my favorite little guys!

Good example of why small does not necessarily mean juvenile!

Yep! My mistake. Guess I just thought it was juvenile. Thanks T.C. and Ryan for the ID.
Hello!

I'm looking into a setup similar to the one you have. Do you have a page or anywhere where I can see more photos with youre set up to get an idea of what you can get out of it?

Thanks!

Hello!

I'm looking into a setup similar to the one you have. Do you have a page or anywhere where I can see more photos with youre set up to get an idea of what you can get out of it?

Thanks!
Sorry...been off this site for quite awhile. Here are some of my recent photos...a few from the Bonaire trip and a few from a more recent trip to Croatia. I love the a6500 and Nauticam setup, although I chose to swap out my YS-D2 strobes because I flooded one and just didn't like the way Sea&Sea was dealing with it. I bought a pair of INON Z-330s but haven't had a chance to use them yet.

View media item 207139

These photos are real sharp and nice. I got an a6000 with a nauticam housing (got them used so it was light on the pocket). I did get the z330s as I plan to upgrade with time and thes strobes give the impression to last for a long time. Seeing the photos (albeit I have an older camera) make me feel good about the choice.

What lenses did you use for them?

These photos are real sharp and nice. I got an a6000 with a nauticam housing (got them used so it was light on the pocket). I did get the z330s as I plan to upgrade with time and thes strobes give the impression to last for a long time. Seeing the photos (albeit I have an older camera) make me feel good about the choice.

What lenses did you use for them?
Thanks! All the pictures were shot using the Sony 16-50mm kit lens and Nauticam flat port. For the shrimp, and the yellow fish on coral pictures, I also used the Nauticam CMC-2 diopter on top of the 16-50mm lens. Hope that helps!

Sony has a G FE 90mm macro lens that is ideal for the type of setup that you are considering. Yes, it’s expensive for sure, but it does a great job and it is very sharp. The lens is large and with the compact housing it will occupy more space and will probably weigh more than the camera per-se, but it is a solid product. This being a native lens responds very well.
Ricardo

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom