Fish ID Book for Bonaire

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Doh, how did they know....

I got myself the Humann&DeLoach book. They must have known I am limited... It's missing pages. Anyone else had this problem? I could not find on the net that it's a common problem with this book, so I guess they knew who they sold it to :D

Is there a source/site where I can find like, say, 50-100 most common species on Bonaire, so I could look at those first? I found 10 most common fish on BDA's page but I could slowly add to that.

piikki:
Companion book?? .....Is there a source/site where I can find like, say, 50-100 most common species on Bonaire, so I could look at those first?
There are 24 page waterproof booklets by Humann. They have the most common 192 fish for the Caribbean. http://www.fishid.com/cgi-bin/shop.cgi?action=show&product=MINI_BOOK&session=PReQemB9
(That link also lists the waterproof book for creatures and corals.).

While not specific to the island of Bonaire, it should cover most of what you see down there. The waterproof book is meant to be used as a companion to the bigger book, since the waterproof book has just pictures and 2 line description including size and distinguishing characteristic.

piikki:
Is there a source/site where I can find like, say, 50-100 most common species on Bonaire, so I could look at those first?

Yes. Go to:

You can drill down in their database to get very detailed (down to the individual dive site!) species abundance data.

To save you the time, here is the link for Bonaire in general:

Scroll down to the second table, which is a species list ranked in order of sighting frequency.

Note that the database is compiled from thousands of volunteer-diver surveys, and that anyone can participate. The survey scanforms are free and very easy to fill out.

Kris

--
Kris Wilk
ReefNet Inc.
www.reefnet.ca

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom