Fish Farm Dive with Sharks

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

okamiotoko2004

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Neighbor of mine works at a fish farm and asked me if I wanted to go out and check it out. Then asked me if I was ok diving with sharks. Now I have seen a White Tip here and there diving around the islands and was like yeah sure no problem. Shark cage tours have nothing on this and I have a whole new respect for commercial divers. But this was one of the best dives I have ever done. There were not 1 or 2 sharks or even a couple, there was like 30 and a couple different types. The sharks there were also bigger than your typical reef White Tip Shark.
I had to help out a little so I didn't get too many pics, but below is some of the ones I took. Most of the pics are from a decent distance (if you can guess why). Just wanted to share with everyone.

Cool! I've heard about that fish farm dive before I think, off Kapolei? How deep is the bottom?

I'm jealous... I've always wanted to do the Moi cages... Well, there's rumor that we will hit the Islands during this workup.

Who knows the what/how/when of this dive? I would love to do that with some video footage. That looks cool.

It was a great couple of dives. My neighbor was spear fishing there too. They are a different breed of diver. Hawaii pack with reg, tank, backplate and down they went.
Bottom of the nets is 110. Bottom is maybe another 50 feet.
The dives were invite only for me. My neighbor works for the company that owns the farm and there is no trespassing. So sorry I can't take any one out there. There is a ton of lines, chains and hoses all over the area so if you do make it out there be careful. Plus the sharks. Neighbor says there is more sharks when they restock the nets and the sharks get a lot friskier.

Dan has an in with the guy at the yellow boat. The Moi Cages themselves are past the Pinicles. Usually if you show up with a case of beer (again ask Dan what kind) they'll let you dive it.

Dan is in the Sandbox till Christmas.....You can also just do a "Drift"....no one owns the ocean...

Fishboy, we are PCSing to Alabama in June....11 months, these assignments keep getting shorter.

Why don't you start living out of your trailer? It looks like we'll be pulling into Hawaii over the summer.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom