Fish, coral and beastie ID guides. Which one for the Philippines??

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

MissElaine

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Hello again everyone. Now that I've decided where I want to go diving, I just want to find out if anyone recommends a/any particular book/s to help with identifying fish, coral and other beasties found around the Philippines. So far I've researched:
- Asia Pacific Reef Guide: Malaysia, Indonesia, Palau, Philippines​
- Indo-pacific Coral Reef Guide​
- Reef Fish ID Tropical Pacific​

Are any of these good? Are there any that are better?

Any replies are much appreciated! Thanks!

Hello again everyone. Now that I've decided where I want to go diving, I just want to find out if anyone recommends a/any particular book/s to help with identifying fish, coral and other beasties found around the Philippines. So far I've researched:
- Asia Pacific Reef Guide: Malaysia, Indonesia, Palau, Philippines​
- Indo-pacific Coral Reef Guide​
- Reef Fish ID Tropical Pacific​

Are any of these good? Are there any that are better?

Any replies are much appreciated! Thanks!

I've got the Indo-pacific Coral Reef Guide for my travels and photos there - pretty good. I definitely recommend your third title for fish i.d. i use it all the time. Don't forget about the Nudibranchs - get the Indo Pacific guide of course and I would recommend Nudibranch behavior too. I'm still looking for a good coral identification book though.

Just check out which ones they have in the dive shop.

Helmut Debelius has good books on Indo Pacific fishes and nudis. I think they're available on Amazon.

I remember the fish group here uses and highly recommends:

Reef Fish ID Tropical Pacific

1362595655_94c6aa06e6.jpg

they said if i want to take fish studies seriously, it's what i should buy. really excellent for fish id - very comprehensive and up-to-date. it's compact too so it's easy to bring around with you.

I remember the fish group here uses and highly recommends:

Reef Fish ID Tropical Pacific

1362595655_94c6aa06e6.jpg

they said if i want to take fish studies seriously, it's what i should buy. really excellent for fish id - very comprehensive and up-to-date. it's compact too so it's easy to bring around with you.
hey..I have one like that:D

i think after diving Cabilao, i need to have one of those books.... really found out now how hard it is to explain to people what i saw if i cannot ID it. :(

i think after diving Cabilao, i need to have one of those books.... really found out now how hard it is to explain to people what i saw if i cannot ID it. :(

Do you think they have a section on scary crabs?:eyebrow::lotsalove:

Do you think they have a section on scary crabs?:eyebrow::lotsalove:

hahahahaha... go on, laugh at me scubagear-w4ore! :blinking:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom