Fish and invertebrate Showcase

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

justleesa

Neither here nor there
ScubaBoard Supporter
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
Did you know that 25% of the Hawaiian sea life is endemic? There are very few places that can say that for themselves.

This will be a new theme of the month show case where you can post your pictures of the critter being show cased...share with us where the picture was taken and what you observed - behavior, location, depth and anything else you might find interesting.

The Fish and Invertebrate Show Case Critter for the month of May will be...drum roll please:

Hawaiian Dascyllus
Dascyllus Albisella
Hawaiian Domino Damselfish
Hawaiian name: Alo'ilo'i

Staghorn_HM103.jpg

So everybody...dig thru those files...find those pictures and tell us about it!

i guess they like to hang out near the antlers?...
plus i wasn't sure if the antlers were supposed to be part of the pic too...
this was taken at "pinnacles" (outside of pearl-harbor) at 70ft.
domino-damsel1.JPG

but if not... here's some more of "those" fish... i hope...
they look the same anyways =/ this one was at "phantasea-reef" (off of hawaii-kai) at 50ft.
domino-damsel4.JPG

Lots of courting and mating going on there. For those not aware, the Domino Damsel will change color to almost all white during courting and mating, which will only last a few minutes. Then the male guards the nest and chirps at anything coming too close. Males will fight against anything that is black in color, as if to defend its turf or nest. They don't start mating until the males are 7 years old and the females are 5 years old, but once they start they don't like to stop. Average life term is 35 years.

Sorry, I thought I was at work again. What was the question?

wow! That is really interesting! Thanks for sharing that.

Do you have an idea how often they lay a year? And do they stay with the same partner or "lay around"?

Good questions. How often? Very. Almost constant. Since the female lays the eggs (on the surface of rocks) and the male deposits sperm on top of the eggs creating the nest, I must assume that they are not "faithful" to each other. However I do not know for sure. I'll have to ask Dr. Bill Walsh.

We sometimes like to call them "Oreo Cookie Fish" over here on Maui! I love those guys but they are getting harder to find since many of the larger antler corals have been destroyed by negligent anchoring and heavy seas. It's great to hear them chirping away when another fish or diver gets too close. Pound for pound, they're meaner than sharks!

Here's a shot I took of some near Keawakapu Beach at around 30' on the way out to the St. Anthony wreck. They really dig their Antler Coral home!

So last night I'm on scubaboard and having a bowl of Oreo cookie ice cream, and I had to stop eating it for a moment.... 'cause the flavor changed for a few seconds.

Great pics!

I hear Hawaiian Dominoes are very territorial and live their whole lifespan around one little coral head. Is that true?

Also, if you are setting up an aquarium, they are favored for their ability to establish the water chemistry. I am just repeating stuff I get told, so keep that in mind!

35 years old? are you kidding me? wow. That explains why some of them look like they have "been around the block"!

I forgot to add that they color change to almost completely black at night, and yes they are extremely territoral. As for an aquarium... I prefer to see them in the ocean.

well me too! but for some reason people say they have superior waste.

Back
Top Bottom