Fish Abuse ??

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have been followed by large barracuda in the ocean and by bass in a quarry waiting for me to stir up some small fish. The little ones move away from me and they get nailed. I figure every time I dive some fish and other stuff will die because of my dive. As pointed out I assume that some fish will die or go hungry every time I do not dive. I have watched a big jack and a big moray hunt together. So using something large to help eat smaller stuff is one of the predators tricks of the trade.

Watching a predator out on the hunt of actually feeding is just amazing!

solo hunts
an octopus hunting and chasing a crab (unsuccessful).
An eel out searching and successfully finding something in a crack on the reef.
A king mackerel take a sand perch off the bottom on the edge of reef.

Team hunts
Hogfish and a barjack out on the hunt hog pecked at some things in the sand and barjack would dart in.

Grouper and eel hunting together, eel would go into honeycomb and chase small fish the grouper would grab them.

Bass seem to follow me circling every time i dive the Niagara river. I finally figured out why last dive when i watched one of those bass grab a minnow that came out of the grass underneath me. It was of course cool to see, but i agree you always impact and environment whenever you step in.

We cannot observe without influencing. The best we can hope for is for our influence to be, en masse, neutral, i.e., that we thwart as many predations as we enable with our presence.

Joe's looked like the Moray and was by Oceanco. The outside corroded in a couple of days. Wanted to confirm with him that it was the same one, though I am pretty sure it is.

I've had my Moray approx 4 yrs (200 dives?) with no signs of corrosion, it is made with high quality material.

Just ordered a few Morays for some friends, I hope they last, they're good friends LOL

Back
Top Bottom