Fish-a-phobe wants to dive!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

InkyUndine

Registered
Reaction score
Greetings from north central Texas! I've been perusing this forum and am very impressed by the knowledge so readily shared here among members. My husband and I are presently working through the PADI OW manual, having thoroughly enjoyed the Discover class, and are signed up for certification classes later this month. We're both very excited, but a bit apprehensive since this is something completely new to us! (I know we're not alone in that regard!) For me, coupled with wrapping my mind around the concept that one CAN breathe underwater is a lifelong phobia of aquatic life - even tiny little fish (the clinical name for this is "ichthyophobia"). I won't go into the "seeding" of this phobia; suffice it to say that I had several traumatic fishy incidents as a child that up until this point, have "marked me for life" and prevented me from enjoying normal water activities … well, I'm fine in a pool, but what’s the fun of diving there? Add to the mix a lifelong fascination with the ocean and sea life. (I know, sounds like I’m contradicting myself – but the fascination is there; it’s just that the phobia has kept me from exploring my interest further.)

For my upcoming milestone birthday, I have chosen to rid myself of my unfounded fear, overcome my fish phobia, and learn to dive! On a recent trip to the Yucatan, my husband and I lolled about the on the beach and watched the dive crews come and go daily. They always appeared to be off on such a cool adventure, and we decided that we wanted to experience that for ourselves. So here we are, about to embark on a major learning experience … and here I am also, doing all I can to conquer a fear of gentle animals that cannot harm me. I fully understand that there are sea creatures that can do damage if provoked. What I’m attempting to overcome is a knee-jerk fearful response to inoffensive little fish. I’m presently involved in a process of self-help and professional coaching. I’m thrilled to be able to say that I have made progress!

I’m curious to know if others have taken up the sport of diving and also dealt with fears/phobias that have to do with water or aquatic life in the process. If so, I would love to know how you fared, especially on your first few dives. I know with certainty that I want to remain fully focused on the act of diving itself while I’m down below, and I do think that having the technical aspects to attend to will help alleviate the fact that, “hey! There are FISH in here with me!” :shocked2:

Hi from the Maldives. Good for you for taking steps to confront your fears.

I should have been mentally scarred after a near-drowning incident when I was very young but I obviously didn't learn from this experience and here I am.

First things first; have you been snorkeling in the sea?

Hi supergaijin! Wow, a near-drowning incident would definitely have a profound impact, I would think! As to snorkeling I have indeed been, although it's been years. I went out with a group off of Okinawa, Japan when I was in my 20s and had a very good time, although I recall that the current was quite strong, making it difficult to swim. My phobia has not kept me entirely from enjoying the sea, but it's definitely impacted my ability at times to do even the simplest of things - such as wading and swimming in crystal clear waters. I so desperately want it to be a thing of the past. I want to enjoy the water fully!

As one whom just received certification very recently my advice. Before you start your classes practice clearing the Mask underwater untill totally confident while using the Snorkel in a Swimming Pool. Many Students including myself fail at this at first and may end up falling behind. There is more then enough other stuff to learn during the course so you dont want this nessesary skill to hinder your progress.

Cheers

I have mixed feelings on this one. First, because I admire your desire to overcome your phobia, while at the same time have seen people get injured or (in one case) killed trying to use scuba to overcome their fear of the water.

Phobias aren't a rational response, and therefore cannot be conquered through rational approaches ... you basically have to "rewire" your brain, and this creates stress. Underwater, stress is not your friend, and all it takes is a momentary irrational response to something unexpected to injure yourself seriously. In this respect, please be careful and take it slowly.

I wish you the best ... so pardon me if I worry on your behalf. We're all unique individuals, and while there is some additional risk involved in what you're doing, by no means would I actively discourage it. I just want you to be aware of your limitations and work within them.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Thanks for the suggestion, Gudu! I will indeed practice this skill until it becomes second nature.

Bob, I thank you for your concern and counsel. I fully agree with you - phobias are emotional responses and the brain must be rewired. I've been doing a lot of indepth work on doing just that, and have been more successful than I ever thought possible. I absolutely will not press myself beyond my comfort level/limitations at any given time. I realize that my learning curve will likely be compounded by my extra "baggage", but I do appreciate the fact that I am not being discouraged from pursuing diving. If anything, my extra "awareness" is causing me to think long and hard about this activity, and still, my gut instinct tells me to go for it.

Congratulations on taking this big step, more than likely you will be doing your open water dives at Clear Springs Scuba Park near Terrell so be aware that the fish there or not the least bit afraid of divers especially the bluegill's at some point, more than likely, one of them is going to come right up to you. You could not touch one of them if you wanted to but they will come close to you. I hope you let your instructor know of your fears before you get in the lake. At CSSP they don't allow just swimming but snorkeling is OK and lately the viz has been really good ( 20' + ) and the temp has been in the high 80's you might want to go out there and do some snorkeling first to get a feel for it. Most everyone has a little voice in the back of their head that does not like for you to breathe underwater but usually after 20 dives or so it will shut up and let you enjoy your time underwater. Good luck with your new adventure it will be worth it. By the way I was about 30 seconds away from being a drowning victim when I was 6, my parents took me to swimming lessons the next week.

Understood, cocojoa! I understand that most fish are timid little creatures ... It's those Bluegill that electrix mentions that I'll have to be on the alert for now. :wink: Electrix, we will be diving at CSSP and I've seen from their website photos that the fish appear rather friendly! I have let my instructor know of my apprehension, but I'll expound on my fears when we next meet so he'll have a greater understanding of where I'm coming from.

Last week we visited a big aquarium and I was mesmerized by the salt water fish. They're so beautiful, so colorful, and many of them are downright adorable! (Cowfish, anyone?) The aquarium was such that I could sit right up against the glass and feel what it was like to be surrounded by the animals, and it was much cooler than I thought it would be! HOWEVER ... the freshwater tank gave me a bit of pause and released some of my pent-up emotions (perfectly normal). Something about the freshwater fish ... to be honest, they mostly look like big angry turds to me. (Sorry, just being honest!) My husband suggested that I at least go through the classroom portion of the class and then gauge my comfort level when it comes to diving at Clear Springs. If I'm not ready, he thinks I should give it some more time and perhaps even think about completing my OW when we next travel to Mexico and can dive in different conditions (excellent vis and salt water creatures).

Last edited:
When I originally did my OW, we had someone in the class who had a slight phobia of fish. Unfortunately, our local conditions weren't very conducive to overcoming this since you can't always see what's coming before it's right in front of your face. This person ended up doing her checkout dives in the Caribbean because of this and did totally fine. It sounds like you've already thought about this, but there is a big difference between diving in tropical locations and cold/dark/dim conditions when it comes to the life you're going to see (and when you're going to see them...)

I was going to suggest that you should visit an aquarium but it sounds like you've already done that :wink:! Have you ever gone somewhere where you can actually touch some of the animals (something touch tank-ish)?

I second your husband's suggestion that you should go ahead and see how you feel after the classroom/pool sessions, and then maybe go do your checkout dives in nicer conditions. I've spent most of my diving career in lakes and colder/dark waters (which i love!), but i was in shock the first time I got to experience excellent viz. It's so different when you can see everything coming from 50 ft away vs. not seeing it until it's within touching distance. I've seen quite a few very rational divers do some really irrational things in bad conditions because of phobias that they couldn't control. It's great that you've really already thought about your limitations and I think taking things slow is your best bet!

Back
Top Bottom