First wreck dive in the Atlantic

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Bossman

Contributor
Reaction score
Hey all. I'm doing my first non-tropical wreck dive (non penetration) in the Atlantic this weekend with East Coast Diving out of South Jersey. The wreck is the Red Oak Cutter that lies at approx 60 ft. I'm looking for your best tips for a newbie so a) I have a safe and fun dive and b) I don't piss anybody off.

A little background is I'm AOW certified, have about 20 dives, and have previous experience with tropical wreck dives as deep as 110 ft. and quarry dives in 50 degree water to about 80 ft. I believe I'm a very careful and conscientious diver, not cocky, and know I have a lot to learn. I've read Dan Berg's Shipwreck Diving recently to get some pointers. I'm looking forward to the dive and becoming more active in diving off the Atlantic so I can dive more often.

So, what are your best tips for a new guy around more experienced divers?

For many older divers, the high point of their day is making fun of the new guy. Don't deny them their fun - your turn will come sooner than you think.

Don't forget your fins!

Most Jersey boats have a "Carolina rig" set up, so you descend off the back of the boat, follow the line at 15 feet to the anchor line at the front of the boat, and then descend down the anchor line. Consider tying in a reel to the anchor line at the bottom so you can make it back there if there is any current. Definitely have an SMB with you in case you can't make it back for some reason. Manage your air conservatively--some boats require doubles or pony bottles. Rent a good light if you don't have one...it will make the experience more enjoyable and let you peek into nooks and crannies where all the fish hide. And lastly, find a good buddy who won't do the same-ocean-buddy thing that's so common in Jersey.

Don't be afraid to make sure that everyone is aware of your wreck/diving experience. Go over the dive plan carefully with your Buddy and spend a bit of extra time going over his equipment (and him going over yours), hand signals, emergency procedures, etc. I can't speak for other divers, but if I see that my Buddy is crossing the T's and dotting the I's, I tend to be much more confident in his ability. Stay with your buddy (not that you wouldn't) and look after him/her. Experienced divers can run into the problems that novices can. Remember you are ultimately responsible for your safety; don't be pushed past your personal limits. Be attentive and communicate. Relax and be deliberate. Dive the plan.

Consider tying in a reel to the anchor line at the bottom so you can make it back there if there is any current.

Some good advice in this thread already, but I have to disagree here. Tie the reel to a piece of wreck _near_ the anchor line, but not to the anchor line.

I've only been diving NJ wrecks for a few years now, but some general tips:

* Have fun!
* If you don't know, ask.
* Keep you gear organized and out of the way. Every boat is a bit different, but you'll see a lot of people with all their gear in a milk crate which can be easily stowed under the bench.
* Definitely bring a light and a reel (see above) and beware that if you're not used to using both the combination is probably going to increase your SAC rate and have you somewhat task loaded your first few dives. Be conservative.
* Pay attention to the briefing and to the line rigging on your way down. You'll want to know how to get back on the boat (which line to follow or not; on most carolina rigs if you have to choose between two lines on the way up, pick the one that is not heading straight up.
* Watch out for the ladder and be careful getting back on board. Keep your reg in your mouth until you're all the way back on the boat (or even all the way into your seat).
* If the boat requires a pony, have one (can usually be rented) and be familiar with it; know how to deploy it and which regulator you'll donate if you need to.
* Tip the crew

One thing no mentioned is taking something for seasickness. If you are even the least bit prone or aren't sure take something just to be safe. I would recommend starting the night before with the meds. I spent this last weekend holding a bucket for a diver on his first trip off NJ as he tried to gear up between puking.

I would also suggest putting your gear together the night before if possible. This will let you catch any gear issues when it is easier to deal with and avoid having to put gear together at least for the first dive on a rocking boat. It also makes transporting the gear down the dock easier as you can just wear it.

Most importantly have fun. Diving the wrecks in the NE and going home with dinner, artifacts, or just memories can be a very rewarding experience.

What boat are you going out on?

If you booked through the LDS they should be able to set you up with a good buddy. You could also pay a little extra do get a DM to go with you for the dive. A lot of guys in NJ go solo but are usually willing to help out someone new. Gives them a chance to show how smart they are :wink:

A pony might not be required for 60 ft but is still a good idea. Most people on the boat will have one or be diving doubles. A light for sure and a reel if you know how to use one.

Here are two helpful web sites

Scuba Diving - New Jersey & Long Island New York - dive Wreck Valley - Artificial Reefs - Coast Guard Reefs

NJ Scuba Divers Message Board

Hey all. I'm doing my first non-tropical wreck dive (non penetration) in the Atlantic this weekend with East Coast Diving out of South Jersey. The wreck is the Red Oak Cutter that lies at approx 60 ft. I'm looking for your best tips for a newbie so a) I have a safe and fun dive and b) I don't piss anybody off.

A little background is I'm AOW certified, have about 20 dives, and have previous experience with tropical wreck dives as deep as 110 ft. and quarry dives in 50 degree water to about 80 ft. I believe I'm a very careful and conscientious diver, not cocky, and know I have a lot to learn. I've read Dan Berg's Shipwreck Diving recently to get some pointers. I'm looking forward to the dive and becoming more active in diving off the Atlantic so I can dive more often.

So, what are your best tips for a new guy around more experienced divers?

Ursula: nice big boat, 54'.

1. Know how to get to the boat beforehand.
2. Get there 45 minutes early.
3. Bring $10 in quarters for the parking meters in the lot.
4. Take a knife and light.
5. Don't venture more than a few feet from the anchor unless using a reel or line.
6. Take a bug bag. (Leave it topside for the first dive.)
7. Pony optional dive. But, if you have one consider bringing it.
8. Wear your rubbers; 2 piece farmer john/jacket, hood, gloves, boots. All 7MM except gloves. You might get away with 5MM gloves. YMMV
9. Take lots to drink; assume the boat will not have water unless told otherwise. (This is a "BBQ dive" which means they, uh, BBQ between dives so you might not have water or food issues.)
10. Inventory your gear a couple of days before, just in case....
11. If you're renting make sure the shop is bringing, or you are picking up, everything you need: tanks, all neoprene (and make sure it fits), weight belt, sufficient weights, ?
12. When heading from the stern to the anchor line (Carolina Rig) use your hands and arms, not your fins.
13. When and after setting up don't clutter up the deck or play manifest destiny with your gear.
14. Listen to the crew and briefings. During all briefings, stop what you're doing and focus on what's being said, specially exit and enter protocols. Don't understand? Ask for clarification.
15. Take a hat, sunglasses, sunscreen and jacket.
16. Pay attention to what's going on around you, and the people around you.
17. Take your time.
18. Enjoy yourself.

It's a shallow dive. Everyone aboard will be pleasant and helpful. No one will be looking down on you as a newbie. More likely they'll try to be as helpful as possible.

Back
Top Bottom