First wetsuit: Xcel, Oceanic, or another?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

biguniverse

Reaction score
Hi, I'm getting ready to buy my first wetsuit and need some advise.

I plan to mostly do warm water diving (caribbean, US east coast, etc.).

I was looking at the Xcel 5/4/3 tri-density (http://www.xcelwetsuits.com/dive/home.html)? I like the idea of having something in between 3mm and 5mm, in other words, a 4mm (even though 3mm has been sufficient for me in my 16 or so dives to date).

What would you guys recommend?

On "Henderson"

I dive in the northern Gulf of Mexico year-round. Temps run from middle 50s to middle 80s, so one suit is not adequate for my comfort. I use a 7/5 mil Henderson Goldcore, a 3 mil Henderson Hyperstrech, and a .5 mil ScubaPro. I also have a 2.5 mil ScubaPro hooded vest and a 7 mil Hyperstrech hood that I can use when needed.

Fit is (almost) everything in a wetsuit. Get one that fits you properly and doesn't let waterflow through it.

Wetsuits primarily keep you warm by keeping the heat sink of the vast ocean away from your body -- There is insulation due to the trapped gas in the neoprene that slows the flow of heat from you body to the suit's surface, so the water can't draw heat out of you as quickly. If you have a poor fit, you'll be pumping cold water in for your body to warm each time you move.

As for keeping warm, its not unlike dressing for a cold day. Its amazing how much a thin hood and, if needed, gloves can add to your overall warmth. Yeah, you look like a goof with the beanie on, but you stay warmer!

Took me going through about eight or ten different makes until I found one that fit well...

...happened to be Henderson Gold Core, which I like. The smooth inside does seem to seal the suit better than the nylon-inside suits, and seems to dry faster between dives. Keeps me from getting chilled before that second dive. No reason to start a dive cold!

Hi there:

I seen the Xcel tri-density and i think it is a assum wetsuit.
I have a henderson gold core in which i also like and wouldn't buy another wetsuit unless it has the slickskin inside.

As speaking for myself, i think the Xcel is built a lot more better than other suits. See the catalogue and take a trip down to your local diveshop. I like the 5-4-3 combo.....
If i was in the market for another wetsuit, the Xcel would be it.
Just my 2 cents worth..

Safe diving to you:

:wink:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom