First West Coast dive

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

O'Neill is big in So Cal - probably from all the surfers - so one piece suits are very popular here.

I'm not a surfer, but my wife and I dove 7mm 1 piece suits for years until just recently, when we went to Dry Suits.

The key is a good hood and gloves. You should be fine. Where my wife and I noticed the warmth dividend most from a drysuit was on the surface interval. While others on the boat are shivering, we remain warm between dives, as we are dry (except for our hair...) This makes multiple dives more comfortable.

You shold be fine with your set up. Being sure to stay wraped up betwen dives, and taking a good rinsing off as you come out (as you know, salt water left on your face attracts moisture from the air....keeping you cool.) Most wetsuit divers bring a big dive coat or some sort of other heavy wind shield to don between dives.

In looking at my logs, it should be in the low 60's (61 - 64 in my books from September thru October) so I would think you'd be comfy.

You'll love it.

So it's 5mm all over...I have the 7/5, so I thought the arms and legs might be thinner on the 5 as well.

Personally, I'd go for more, but I am one of those people who is always cold, so I may not be the best source of advice. With the core warmer, you'll probably be fine.
Mo2 is correct - theoretically, October should still be warm. It takes the ocean a long while to warm up, and a long while to cool down. Bring both sunscreen and sweats and the dive parka if you have one, though, to be covered.

Oct -Nov if i am correct its the time the squid run at La Jolla, one of my favorite dives :) If you get a chance, hit la Jolla shores enjoy the squid run.

Andy

Sounds like the 'tween dive time is a big part of staying warm. Guess I need to invest in a warm, parka thing that works well around wet stuff.

Think I'll try some Pacific Northwest dives in the 5 + 7 mode this summer and see how it goes. As always, your help and advice is appreciated.

cheers

Too funny KM - I was fumbling for the word this morning. What the heck did I throw up ther... "heavy wind shield"... too funny. Brain melt in the AM.

These guys are pretty much the parka guys in So Cal. I haven't used mine in a long, long time. My wife uses hers EVERY TRIP and just loves it.

K

So Cal Dive Parkas

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom