First visit to SoCal

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

drl

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I will be in Anaheim at the end of June for a conference. I'm a little hazy on exactly where Anaheim is, but it's a lot closer to the Pacific than Chicago... so I am considering bringing my dive gear and my dive buddy, and trying to get a few dives in after the conference.
What would you local folks recommend? We both have ca 160 dives (and will have more by then), both tropical and Lake Michigan, but have never dived in California.
Do dive charters run on weekdays in the summer? I will have meetings on the weekend and possibly on Monday morning too.
What is the water temperature typically like in the summer? We dive dry around here but I'd rather not try to travel with my drysuit.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Deborah

Hi Deborah!

Mmmmm...June in SoCal...ocean is warming up, the coast is overcast, and the diving is grand!

Several boats run midweek charters. You are going to want to check out boats out of Los Alamitos harbor/marina being closest to Anaheim, Island Diver being my favorite. If you call Island Diver, they can direct you to a shop for the charter and any equipment rentals you may need.

Water temp will be low 60s. Lot's of us dive dry year round, but you may rather rent wet suits (7mm) locally to save you the trouble of packing suits.

Make sure you let us know the dates you will be diving...most likely one or two of us locals can join you and help you to see all of the great stuff SoCal diving has to offer.

Cheers!

In Anaheim you'll be close enough to some of the OC beaches where you could even get some shore diving in on the weekdays if you don't have any luck with the boats. Personally I really love Crescent Bay for shore diving, but there are quite a few options right there...

Laguna Sea Sports posts dive conditions every morning (and I believe they do an afternoon update as well), so you can check it out before you head out. They're also located right next to Shaw's Cove and Crescent.

Laguna Sea Sports

You can check out this site to get more info as well...

Scuba Shore Diving Site Listing for: California South, USA West

Thanks for the info. I'll check these out and post again when I have more details.
The conference (or at least the part I have to go to) ends June 30, so I expect to want to dive July 1 and 2 or so.

Back
Top Bottom