First UW Camera Selection

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

sonny - sorry, I missed where you said you had the Ike! I only have the Canon housings, no Ike's for these, and just assumed that's what you were talking about.

Do you have the Canon or Ikilite housings(or maybe both)???.........btw, loved your snake pic from last month......you're still the best:D...........

Ryan, here's a good short tutorial that covers the subject's basic concepts.

Warning - the comparison in the above post is interesting, but is referring to the A710, not the A720IS.

I shoot my A570 on Av & leave the ISO on 80 all the time(the lowest it has)......so basically all I'm changing is the F-stop, start @ about 5 & go down to about 2.8? when & if I get a chance to bracket......Try to use macro all the time & flash unless I'm shooting toward the surface or near the surface where I take advantage of ambient lite.....The only time I'll change from this is when shooting silhouettes(directly into the sun) & I'll put my F-stop as high as the camera goes, I think around 8 something(don't have the camera in front of me)----in the old days, used F-22 on my 35 mm S&S MM II.....

Yes, I only have the Ikelite housing. I wanted the deeper depth rating, and for $50 more (list prices)...

The housing is brand new. The little foam donut is still on the mode adjust dial. It's just that it creates inadequate friction to move the mode dial. Yes, the mode dial is the "toothed" on on top of the camera that sets the various modes (P, Av, Tv, ...).

I wanted to be able to switch between a mode (P, Av, Tv, or M) and the Movie mode. Without the dial working, I have to select before the dive and that's the choice for the dive.

Currently I'm only working with the video mode, so I'm OK with it, but I'll have to make an adapter for the Ikelite knob that will actually engage the mode wheel's teeth somehow. I just wish Ikelite had actually TRIED an A570 in the housing. There's no way the supplied knob/friction donut would ever work the mode dial unless it were so worn out that it spun freely. As my A570 is new, the dial is easy to turn, but not easy enough for a rubber donut contact point to ever turn.

-S

Sunnyboy, could that be a defective unit you have??...I would call Ikelite & ask.....That does not seem just right...........good luck......

I use a Casio EX-Z1000 and it's housing. I love it. Got it all and a 1gb card from Adorama for 512 shipped. It works great in the PNW waters and is fantastic on land.
Hope this helps.
K

Sunnyboy, could that be a defective unit you have??...I would call Ikelite & ask.....That does not seem just right...........good luck......

Yea, I've got an email to Ikelite asking about that control.

-S

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom