First UW Camera Selection

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

According to DPREVIEW.COM , effective pixels are the same. The 570 shoots at 1/1600 and the 710 at 1/800 highest ISO. White balance override 5 positions for 570; 6 pos. for 710. Up to 60 ffps movie clips by 570; max 30 fps for 710. The 570 can take SDHC storage cards. The 570 focuses to 5 cm; the 720 to 1 cm. The aperture ranges are also different F2.6 - F5.5 (570) F2.8 - F4.8 (720).

I am just starting to get into digital photo, I have played around with some other p&s cameras before, but never really knew what I was doing when altering other settings. I get the focus length, and the fps for video. But what exactly do the different ISO #'s and the aperature #;s mean? I understand the aperature works like the iris of your eye, controlling the amount of light entering into your eye(camera) but I dont know the difference in the numbers. Thanks

Ryan, here's a good short tutorial that covers the subject's basic concepts.

Warning - the comparison in the above post is interesting, but is referring to the A710, not the A720IS.

I just bought the Canon A570IS and an Ikelite housing. I absolutely love the pair. The camera is great on land, and in the housing it's very sweet.

The only complaint that I have is the mode dial cannot be controlled in the underwater housing. There's a control for it, but it's a sponge-rubber disk that simply can't grip the dial firmly enough to allow the (stiff) dial to turn.

Otherwise I'd recommend the combination. It's certainly cheaper than many other options.

-S

My two 570 and housings work slick, no problems at all - just sent them out with two people with no uw photo experience and they had no problems, so I know everything is working :wink: I know it's not perfect, but try pushing down slightly as you turn the dial, that should help it "grab".

My two 570 and housings work slick, no problems at all - just sent them out with two people with no uw photo experience and they had no problems, so I know everything is working :wink: I know it's not perfect, but try pushing down slightly as you turn the dial, that should help it "grab".

Do you have the Canon or Ikilite housings(or maybe both)???---my Canon works the wheel just fine.........btw, loved your snake pic from last month......you're still the best:D...........

Nope - the Ikelite housing is totally incapable of grabbing the wheel with enough force to move it. It's pure friction, and that wheel needs more than just friction.

-S

You may have lost the end pad, I did on mine for the Canon 20D and it just won't reach the dial...

Nope - the Ikelite housing is totally incapable of grabbing the wheel with enough force to move it. It's pure friction, and that wheel needs more than just friction.

-S

Let me get this straight ....you're talking about the wheel that changes from Av, to SCN, to video, to all the different modes, right???........

Edit...found this pic, the wheel @ the top here with 'teeth' on it.......

http://www.letsgodigital.org/images/producten/1525/testrapport/canon-powershot-a570is_2A.jpg

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom