First unguided dive goes badly

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

During the planning stage for this dive, did you discuss what the MOD (Max Operating Depth) for your Nitrox mix was? Unless you were using a mix that was way hotter than is within the scope of a rec nitrox class, I doubt you should have had much to worry about ox tox at 22m. Calculating and discussing MOD prior to the dive may have helped prevent your husband from freaking about getting toxed in the first place.

From what I read alicatfish, you and your husband did a harder dive than what you were prepared or ready for yet by yourselves. Lessons were learnt and you are both safe and sound which is the main thing.

A couple of good sugguestions were put out there for future dives.

1) have a DM or experienced diver with you and have them bring up the rear. You and your husband lead and if help is needed you have someone to fall back on.

2) By yourselves, do some easy shore dives or dive places that you have a good understanding of the layout and get comfortable being by yourselves. Practice your navigation and other skills.

The key is to take it slow, start with easy dives and then work your way up to harder ones.

Another option is to find a dive club and get out with them or find out when the dive shops in your area have their shop dives and join them.

Take your time, it will all come with practice.

Alicatfish,
What a great team of dive counsellors you've found here at ScubaBoard! Sound advice, one and all.

I've had dives I'm embarrassed to record in my log book, too. But I learned a long time ago from a wise instructor that "Each dive is practice for the next dive."

The important thing is that you are both safe and learned a couple valuable lessons --the best of both worlds.

Sounds like you guys toughed it out pretty well, but I also think that you were trying a little bit too much at the same time. I don't see any real "problems" here, other than issues that will resolve over time. Obviously you are not familiar with your equipment yet and the mere fact of doing an unguided dive added to an existing anxiety. If I were you, I'd take it easy and start doing shallow shore dives, where you don't have to descend into deep water(!), where you don't have to worry about compass navigation(!), wrecks(!), currents(!)and all that. There were just too many demanding and new challenges in your first unguided dive. Take it slowly, one new "challenge" at a time, and you will both become ever more comfortable. As to the question of oxygen toxicity, I'd say No way. Of course you can never say never, but IMHO, you were way too shallow for that being a possibility. "Freaked out" is much, much more likely. There is no problem with that. Look at your experience as "placement test", learn from it, take it slowly, and have fun!!!

I too felt near-panic a few times during my initial dives. This included dives in the 20s and 30s which were led by dive-masters. I attributed it to tight-heavy-wetsuit-at-90degree-air-temperature stress as well as trying to keep up with the group (even on surface swims). I still sometimes feel a little stressed but now infrequently and less strongly.

Getting over the stress/near-panic is important. I think that having gone through a near-panic condition and managing it successfully makes one a better diver. Being able to recognize and question the cause makes one more able to dive safer.

Glad to hear both of you are fine. Take the lesson and keep learning!

Sorry your first un-guided dive didn't go well. I have found that when I add anything new to my dive experience it is best for me to do it one piece at a time. Even things as simple as the first time I carried a camera, or towed the dive flag gave me enough to handle. My first solo dive, and first time leading a dive were both at places I had dived several times before. Even then, they weren't the first dives of the day.Had you ever been on this wreck before? I think it might have been better to do a shake-down dive together first.
The stress of leading the dive, trying to find the wreck, dealing with a current might have altered your husband's breathing patterns enough to start CO2 build-up, which can certainly contribute to panic.
I do agree that when your husband gave the ascent signal that should have meant the dive was over. You both learned something, and didn't pay too high a price for the lesson. Keep learning, and keep diving!

I totally agree with the recommendations that: (1) you slowly/incrementally expand your diving repertoire and (2) you join a local dive club. #1 should minimize any anxiety about trying too many "new" things at once. #2 will introduce you to more experienced divers that you can learn from and emulate.
I think someone suggested the possibility of getting more training. I recall having about 60 dives under my belt before taking my PADI Advanced Open Water class. Others in the class had just gotten their Open Water certification. We all did just fine on the dives. I would definitely consider getting an Advanced certification...if nothing else to gain more experience and confidence under the watchful eyes of an instructor. As an added benefit, my girlfriend and I still dive with our AOW classmates. We've all gotten a lot better and are great friends (even out of the water).
Your level-headed approach to learning from your first unguided dive experience will serve you well as you do more diving. Have fun and dive safe!

diving is for fun in most cases . if you didnt feel comfortable relax its normal .

do some more dives with a center or dm .

relax and enjoy .

small steps , slow and sure . all these phrases pop to mind but relax and enjoy .

While I don't disagree that you could benefit from doing more dives with DMs or instructors, I feel that after 26 dives, you should be starting to look at cutting the cord as well. However, you and your husband have the same (in)experience level. I would say that the dive club suggestion is an excellent (being an officer in a dive club myself), because it will give you the opportunity to dive with other experienced, non-pro recreational divers, and gain some of that independant experience. I would say one area you should concentrate on is dive planning. By diving with more experienced divers, you can ask them to let you take an active or even lead role in developing dive plans, but you will have their experienced eyes on your decisions in the event you miss something or your logic goes astray.

Diving with DMs is fine, but overdependence on them is rampant in our sport at times....

CoyKoi:
Alicatfish,
What a great team of dive counsellors you've found here at ScubaBoard! Sound advice, one and all.

I've had dives I'm embarrassed to record in my log book, too. But I learned a long time ago from a wise instructor that "Each dive is practice for the next dive."

The important thing is that you are both safe and learned a couple valuable lessons --the best of both worlds.

Words of wisdom right there.

Also, I agree with "cutting the cord". If you want to get the most out of diving, you do have break free of DM's. Just follow the advice given about planning, and preparation, and making sure you are both comfortable in the environment.

Back
Top Bottom