First underwater digital camera

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

MAGELLAN

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I'm thinking about getting my first underwater camera and I'd like to go digital. Any suggestions on a good camera at a decent price, say less than $500?

A lot of people here on the board use Olympus units.

I am not all that familiar with them, but I'm sure someone will jump in :)

I use a Canon Powershot S45. These run around $550 with the underwater case.

Underwater photography can be an expensive habit. Be careful!

Peter

I'll second pdoege's post and suggest Cannon or Olympus. They seem to be the two brands that are the most popular. I can't speak for the Canon but I have an Olympus camera and housing and love it.
:shades:

I have a Canon A70 with Canon's DC-WP700 housing. Less than $500 for both - even better savings shopping on line.

Marc

go with the OLYMPUS 5050z - remember, the camera is just the tip of photograhy iceberg.... housing, flashes, arms, lens, tote case.... it adds up fast!!!! but EVERYTHING will be based on the camera, therefore the case, therfore....... so start with something you're comfortable GROWING with.... the OLYMPUS 5050z is a great 5M pixel camera that you can find refurb or on eBay for around $500

check out www.piddlefish.com/scuba then click the PHOTOGRAPHY link... i've done a bunch0 homework for ya (is still in progress) with some awesome links on the fascinating aspect of diving

Are there any good sites to look at these and other cameras that come with the housings? I'm also looking for an underwater camera...possibly a digital. The Olympus and Canon sounds great but where do the housings come from? Sorry about the newbeeism....I don't know a damn thing about photography.

I am a big fan of B&H Photo in NY. Their website is http://www.bhphotovideo.com. They always seem to be the least expensive and I have bought tons of equipment and had no problems. They have complete setups for underwater photography.

also shoots pretty damn good video. Its quite amazing, actually, given what it is.

Well, my bill collectors tell me (wife). That I've spend too much money on diving already and I have to pay them first, so what about something really budget, but decent. So, I'm guessing something, not digital? Although, I imagine I would eventually go digital.

By The Way, is there a forum for exchanging, selling gear on this website? (Now that I've asked, I'll go look):wink:

You can easily spend the difference on film and processing. Considering the number of "good shots" you will get compared to the trash, with film you're gonna get a processing-bill surprise! :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom