First trip to Thailand /Phuket

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

firelaw

Registered
Reaction score
We are making our first trip to Thailand/Phuket (FEB). We are a couple 59 and 57.
1) has anyone done the overnight trips to the islands where you stay in tents or bungalows and dive from the day boat?
2) My wife has neck problems that complicate entry and exit, and equalizes slowly so I would appreciate a recommendation for an absolutely first class operator willing to help a customer as needed.
3) We are trying to go in the intermoon period to reduce currents does that help?
4) We have our own gear and will bring it. It's all US Divers/ aqualung. I Would appreciate a recommendation for a repair operation just in case

Thank you

We are new here

Vince

1) yes, there are a few options for that. More under 2)
2) Because of the problems a big boat would be a better option than a speedboat. Most daytrips will be on speedboat, so make sure that is not where you end up. A (short) liveaboard could also be an option.
3) Yes, helps greatly to dive with less strong currents.
4) Aquamaster in Chalong (Phuket).

Hi Firelaw--yes there are several operators that offer diving with overnight stays in tents and wooden bungalows. Typically you do two or three dives from a speedboat, stay on the island overnight (with the option of additional overnights) and return with another two or three dives from a speedboat.

Having worked with disabled divers and those with bad backs in the past, I would advise that your wife put on and take off her gear in the water rather than on the boat. The biggest issue will be possibly choppy sea conditions, so the operator will need to know ahead of time about your wife's condition so that dive sites can be carefully selected to include areas with calm surface conditions.

We are making our first trip to Thailand/Phuket (FEB). We are a couple 59 and 57.
1) has anyone done the overnight trips to the islands where you stay in tents or bungalows and dive from the day boat?
2) My wife has neck problems that complicate entry and exit, and equalizes slowly so I would appreciate a recommendation for an absolutely first class operator willing to help a customer as needed.
3) We are trying to go in the intermoon period to reduce currents does that help?
4) We have our own gear and will bring it. It's all US Divers/ aqualung. I Would appreciate a recommendation for a repair operation just in case

Thank you

We are new here

Vince

Hi firelaw

Agree with stevenl

You will be a lot more comfortable on a LiveaBoard. Steps can be taken to ensure your wife suffers as little discomfort as possible on entry and exiting the water

But to be honest from my experience, it is not about the operator it is about your DiveMaster, his/her level of service, kindness and experience.

I have many guest come back to me coz I take very good care of them and thats what it is about with your wife and yourself, you need just a little extra help thats all.

And your absolutely correct about the moon and current. And yes Aquamaster in Chalong which is close to the pier too.

I hope this can help you.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom