First trip to Sharm

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Bluebabe

New
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Looking for advice: my hubby and I going to Sharm for 5 days diving in Feb. We are relatively novice divers, just wondering what mm wetsuit to take - I very much feel the cold. Also what kind of layers will we need for the boat? Really not sure what to expect temp wise? Any advice appreciated, thank you.

If you absolutely HAVE to wear a wetsuit it would have to be at least a 5mm semi dry with a good hood, gloves and boots.

If it’s one or two dives every couple of days you won’t get too cold but if you are planning to do 5days/10dives you are going to feel the cold so much it might make you miserable.

I dive Egypt every Jan/Feb and I’m in a drysuit with leggings/thin skiwear style top underneath and I’m considered one of the more hardy ones of our group for the cold factor.

Take a drysuit if you can it will transform your experience if doing multiple days of diving.

Who you diving with ?

If you absolutely HAVE to wear a wetsuit it would have to be at least a 5mm semi dry with a good hood, gloves and boots.

If it’s one or two dives every couple of days you won’t get too cold but if you are planning to do 5days/10dives you are going to feel the cold so much it might make you miserable.

I dive Egypt every Jan/Feb and I’m in a drysuit with leggings/thin skiwear style top underneath and I’m considered one of the more hardy ones of our group for the cold factor.

Take a drysuit if you can it will transform your experience if doing multiple days of diving.

Who you diving with ?

Who you diving with ?

Oh goodness, I wasn't expecting to wear a drysuit!! We have 5 days diving booked with Elite diving.

Welcome to ScubaBoard.

Northern Red Sea is relatively cold at this time of year and I second @SammyW 's opinion a it's best dived in a drysuit.

That said a 5mm semi dry may suffice if not doing too many dives.

Ask Elite diving what the current water temperatures are, I'd hazard a guess at around 20-23C.

I did some dives in 18-20 C waters (Mediterranean) in a 5mm wetsuit (2 dives a day) without any problems. I am not someone who gets cold easily, though. Today, the water temperature in Shram is around 23 C (Sharm el-Sheikh Water Temperature | Egypt | Sea Temperatures). So I think a 5mm suit could be just fine.

Note: In the Netherlands, I dive in a drysuit regularly in waters below 10 C in temperature. So 18-20 C is warm for what I am used to. Could be different for others of course.

Been a few times in February, always dived in a 5mm wetsuit (not semi-dry) no hood, no gloves, no layers.

The picture is 7th Feb 2015, water temp 23C; that trip was 5 days, 15 dives, most of us in wetsuits throughout. You appear to be from pretty much the same latitude (I'm in the Isle of Man) so you might be lucky - but far better to err on the side of caution with a hood and some other layers, just in case. I found I got far colder on the boat in between dives - it can be pretty windy at that time of year.

1673442557303.png

Back
Top Bottom