first trip to Grand Cayman

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

whodunit68

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
hey all...about to head to Grand Cayman for the first time. I'll be dive dive diving as much as possible. I welcome any tips for sites to see, places to go, people...err, well you know.
Who's your favourite operator? Any recommendations are welcome (I do have a place to stay - Morritts or something like that).
Anyone going to be there? I'm diving solo for most of it unless my buddy gets his certification in time. I can't wait to go!!!
Thanks in advance.

Assuming you are staying at Morritt's, that is on the quieter east end of the island. Great diving, but there are only 2 dive operators out there - Ocean Frontiers and Tortuga Divers. If you search for those names here you'll find lots of comments. OF always gets rave reviews.

anyone know the good spots to dive in GC? I can travel to other side of island if there are great operators or sites that anyone can recommend? I've never been to GC so I want to find the best stuff. help?

anyone know the good spots to dive in GC? I can travel to other side of island if there are great operators or sites that anyone can recommend? I've never been to GC so I want to find the best stuff. help?

I was there last summer and stayed on the East End as well. I dove with both Tortuga and Ocean Frontiers; I liked both so you can't wrong.

For an awesome shore dive try Turtle Point. Just drive ALLLLLL the way to the other end of the island. Look for a bar/restaurant called the Cracked Conch. There is a dive OP right there. The entry point is just off the deck of the Cracked Conch so its a great late morning dive followed by lunch on the deck. Ask the dive OP the best route 'cause there is an excellent spot where tons of tarpon swim along with you.

Have fun!

Technically it's called Turtle Reef. Sundivers - Home Page

Lighthouse Point is the new divesite just up the road at Divetech's new facility. Grand Cayman scuba diving

Go out through the cove and go south (left) just off the bottom (it's about 50') The Tarpon are usually schooling in a sort of overhanging open cave area during the day. It's pretty cool...I think Turtle Reef is the best shoredive on that side of the island.

Watch overhead as some of the bigger pelagics use the channel as a shortcut to the Wall. We saw Eagle Rays go flying overhead.

Another option is to day-dive at Sunset House - dive the mermaid (Amphitrite sculpture), eat lunch at My Bar (diver's hangout) stop by the Cathy Church gallery in the basement of the main house there.

It's a long drive from Morritt's though - plan on all day.

On the East End Babylon is one of the best. Either shore or boat. Ask someone to describe in detail how to shoredive it though as the way out is hard(er) to find. Some of the better boat dives on the West side are Trinity Caves, Big Tunnel and Orange Canyon.

Oh, and try to avoid Georgetown when there's cruise ships in town. And know that most of the tourists don't look the right way before stepping off the curb in their haste to get the best souvenirs before anyone else - you'll be driving on the left there.

Two quick easy shore dives with Wall potential at one (Sea View) are available if you do go into Georgetown. The dives directly in front of the old Sea View Dive Resort will give you a chance to stay shallow (18m) or so or you can swim to the wall starting at 24-30m. Sunset House has a great reef too with the famous Cayman Mermaid. Eden Rock is good, but can be really crowded with Cruise Shippers.
Have Fun

thank you all for the suggestions. Ocean Frontiers is a terrific operation. All the people (except one) were fantastic. They were super friendly, offered pickup/drop-off service, rinse & store of gear, and even "banked" the trips so you can get multiple-trip discounts and they figure out at the end which package you "qualify" for. I had a reg blow up and they swapped it out while I was in the water faster than I gear up. The trip summary they provide with the sites, depth & time, and crew is awesome if you're logging. They computerize my trips so I don't have duplicates. Captains Jason & James & crew TJ, Katie, and Britta were super polite and led great dives and even customized a little to my interests. I could go on but I think you all got the point.
I did dive with Tortuga once. Eh. Very Eh.

Back
Top Bottom