First trip to Cozumel coming up

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Great info. I’ve been where we’ve been guided by a dive master and to where we were on our own at smaller sites. Do the DMs have good dive plans that they go over with us before the dive?

I’ve read a bunch about wetsuit recommendations, but haven’t come to a concise conclusion. I was thinking about a rash guard and shorts or a 3mm shorty. I’ve watched a lot of videos where people have been in full suits though..... ??
This time of the year temps should be 82-84, I would be in a shorts and rash guard but everyone handles temps differently. Not sure if Aldora is doing the boat coats during covid times but they help if the suns is not shining after a dive.

Have sometimes used the advice, go where the locals go for the best places to eat. Find the Tiki Tok. Balcony dining area filled with sand and overlooks the water (not far from the ferry pier.) Food is good. Went on a night when locals filled the bar - lots of dancing and partying - if that's your thing - and if it's still there!

32e2079c-60ce-4e0f-b549-5fedc82086f5
upload_2020-11-1_16-52-53.png

Great info. I’ve been where we’ve been guided by a dive master and to where we were on our own at smaller sites. Do the DMs have good dive plans that they go over with us before the dive?

I’ve read a bunch about wetsuit recommendations, but haven’t come to a concise conclusion. I was thinking about a rash guard and shorts or a 3mm shorty. I’ve watched a lot of videos where people have been in full suits though..... ??

Should be really warm there now. 80° ± 2°F. Water may turn soon, but it'll only be a few degrees cooler when it does. You can check with the shop, if inclined on water temps. I'm allergic to hydroids, so I wear a 1mm full wet-suit. If diving four dives a day, I'll don a Lavacore long sleeve shirt to keep my core temp up. Nap under the covers between trips if your going to do that. I also always wear a dew rag thing on me head, as I'm folliclly challenged (bald). Keeps some heat in and keeps my melon from burning on the surface. Gloves are not allowed in the park btw.
Drink lots of water. Don't get dehydrated.
Make sure your on the happy boat by being happy yourself. Have fun. Take pics and post them here.

Congrats on the upcoming trip. My favorite restaurant was Los Sera’s - they also deliver. $4 will fill up any normal person with really good food. Lots of authentic places on 30 Avenida that you can’t go wrong with.

We were there just a week ago and diving with Aldora. They do have boat coats. Our longest dive was 1 hour 42 minutes. And about 1 hour 20 average. Water was 85 degrees but I still get cold, especially after multiple days so a 3mm and hood was perfect. My buddy was great in shorts and T-shirt the entire time.

If they don’t know you, the Aldora DM will watch your skill level on the first day then group you with similar divers the rest of the trip so you can easily dive your full tank. My favorite single dive was Maracaibo. We also did an hour 20 minute dive on devils throat. It’s much more relaxing with HP120’s unless the ppo2 alarm bothers you.

If your skill level and weather allows, ask about the three tank "adventure dive" north of the island. Nautilus (I think that’s what it was) was included for each buddy team and they made seviche for the second surface interval.

We used to rent a car while in Cozumel, but since they widened many of their sidewalks, which drastically reduced street parking, coupled with my lack of savvy in finding designated public parking areas, I find that using a cab alleviates the aggravation. As mentioned above, always ask the price before you head to destination. I vote for ditching the rental car! Good choice in choosing the non all inclusive option.
I have been diving in Cozumel more than a dozen times, and never felt the need or desire to explore Devils Throat. You cannot go wrong with the Palancar sites. While Cedral Pass may not be a colorful as some of the their sites, I have always had luck in finding a fat green moray and nurse sharks. I have never had any bad dives in Cozumel. Enjoy your vacation.

We always rent a car but usually just for a few of the days. We always rent from ISIS for $35-45/day, insurance included. We've been going about 2x per year for past ten years. Taxis are NOT everywhere. Anyone who says that has never strayed off the beaten path. Esp. with curfews and the cruise ships not running. When it's dark, when it's raining, when you're tired and ready to get back to the room is when you will appreciate having a guaranteed ride immediately and not having to walk several blocks to a main street or stand by the road for ten minutes and wave at passing taxis until one is vacant. Driving around the island is fun, too.

We always have to make a visit to El Pique. Los Otates (now Tacotales) used to be but last month it had radically changed and not for the better. We'll give it another shot next time. Cerveceria will now be on that list.

Just got back last week and we had a great time. Water was no wetsuit required temp. For a great hole in the wall taco place try Guisados near the church on the square. The family who owns and work there could not of been nicer. Try the authentic mexican caf'e de olla if you like coffee. Cervaseria Punta Sur for lion fish pizza and lion fish ceviche, both awesome. New Especias for dinner, we had the lion fish marsala and the lemon and capers lion fish. Just doing our part to control population. You also need to go to Los Chillangos for lunch. It's like going to a family home for supper. We absolutely love the place and always go there every trip a few times after diving for lunch. (cash only)
I agree on no rental car, cabs are cheap and easy and so many drivers are not only super nice but its also nice to help as many locals out as possible. Safe travels.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom