Question First -Time Wrist Computer User...SPG Questions

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

dflaher

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Well, I bit the bullet and purchased a Shearwater Peregrine. My current computer is a hose-mounted AI (Aeris Atmos AI). Main reasons were:
  • replacement for an older computer that is no longer supported (Aeris is no longer in business)
  • wanting a wrist-style for ease of checking depth and NDL
  • ability to set conservatism levels
  • well-known algorithm
  • much better display
However, the Aeris is still functioning well and I am thinking of using it as a backup. So my questions are:
  • My 1st stage has 2 HP ports. Should I have a brass and glass SPG only, or
  • Use the Aeris as a primary for air pressure and a secondary for depth/NDL, or
  • a combination of the 2 above for full redundancy?
If brass and glass, any recommendations on make/model? Been looking at the ones offered by DGX.

Thanks and sorry for the bulleted lists but it helps me keep my thoughts organized :)

However, the Aeris is still functioning well and I am thinking of using it as a backup. So my questions are:
  • Use the Aeris as a primary for air pressure and a secondary for depth/NDL, or
  • a combination of the 2 above for full redundancy?
Give it a try before buying spg.
But make sure the algorithm of both computer is compatible. You might need to adjust the GF of your SW to achieve that.

I loathe consoles. Big bricky things and I see many people let them just float about wherever.
Me too. My plan was to route the hose under my waist belt to the left of the buckle, so that I could look down at the console and keep it tucked away.

Brass and glass. Look for a used one, they’re everywhere nowdays! Keep the hose computer around as a backup, no sense taking it in the water every dive though.

Me too. My plan was to route the hose under my waist belt to the left of the buckle, so that I could look down at the console and keep it tucked away.
the standard configuration is to clip off to a d-ring on the left side of your waist strap. 22-ish inches is what you need give or take based on your height possibly.

I'd keep the Aeris if it is still working fine. You can buy a bungee console holder that attaches to a shoulder d-ring on your BC.

Keep the hose computer around as a backup, no sense taking it in the water every dive though.
Yeah, probably right. For the recreational diving I do, not much need for ultra redundancy. If I didn't sell it I could always bring it along on a liveaboard in case either the SW or the SPG went belly up.

Back
Top Bottom