First time with equipment problems

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

pediatron

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Let me start off by saying that I am a bit nervous about posting this, but I figure it may help someone.

A little background: My husband and I had just gotten to Bonaire after an overnight flight where I didn’t sleep and a huge hassle about our room being oversold that night (and having to be put up in alternate accommodations). I would have preferred to go to the new condo and get some sleep, but the only way to get the marine park tag that day was to participate in an orientation and check out dive that morning. I had done about 70 or so dives in the past (AOW), my husband at least double that.

I was in a new 5mm full wetsuit (from my previous 3mm) and needed to figure out weights. My husband didn’t suit up as his plan was to hand me additional weights from the pier if needed. I suited up and jumped off the pier (probably over-weighted with 18 lbs.) into about 12 feet of water. Very quickly I noticed that while my BC would inflate for a moment, it wouldn’t stay inflated. I called out to my hubby that I had a problem and he said to just swim around to the steps and we’d fix it on the pier. He (I guess) figured I was fine and didn’t pay much attention to me after that. I started swimming around the pier, plus the two boats tied up, and started to get really tired really fast. It’s amazing how much energy it takes to hold oneself at the surface without any air in the BC. About half-way around the pier, I was starting to panic. I had my hands on my weights, but couldn’t seem to be willing to release them (I mean I was right there at the pier – so close). There was a DM on the boat I was trying to go around who asked if he could help and jumped in, then tried to orally inflate my BC without success and gave me a quick tow to the stairs. Took me about 10 min. to calm down and did the dive after my hubby fixed the connection of the inflator hose. Had a great time the rest of the week.

This was my first equipment problem after about 70 or so dives. I knew I was going to be ok the whole time, but it was incredibly scary at the time. I felt very abandoned by my dive buddy, husband. I’m disappointed in myself for not dropping the weights. I do understand what they teach in the rescue course about a panicked diver not descending. (I could have easily swam UNDER the pier to the steps in no time, but this didn’t even cross my mind).

I had wanted to take the rescue diver that trip, but the dive shop couldn’t accommodate. We have both since enjoyed the course in Cozumel this last month and have learned much.

I just wanted to share my experience – perhaps it will help someone. I had been very trusting of my equipment and thought I could handle problems as they came up. If my husband had been in the water or probably any other buddy, I think I would have been a lot calmer. I definitely felt very alone and will not agree to that type of separation again even under what seemed like such benign conditions. (BTW – we just booked another Bonaire trip for this summer!)

This was my first equipment problem after about 70 or so dives. I knew I was going to be ok the whole time, but it was incredibly scary at the time. I felt very abandoned by my dive buddy, husband. I’m disappointed in myself for not dropping the weights. I do understand what they teach in the rescue course about a panicked diver not descending. (I could have easily swam UNDER the pier to the steps in no time, but this didn’t even cross my mind).
I think all the good stuff is in here. Glad you came out OK and had a good vacation.

Did your husband realize later you were in trouble? Also, just wanted to make sure that you COULD have dropped your weights if push came to shove--did you already release the weight belt or did you just have your hand on the buckle?

Glad everything turned out to be OK.

I think the moment of jumping in the water is underrated for danger. I always check that my tank valve is on, take three breaths from the regulator while looking at the SPG (if the valve isn't fully on, you'll pick it up easily when the SPG needle drops), and verify that the BC & drysuit are connected by adding air to them. What ended up being the problem with the connection of the inflator hose, such that the BC wouldn't stay inflated?

First time anyone experiences an equipment failure can create some level of anxiety. I’m glad your husband was close and nothing serious happened. Your post is just a simple reminder to all of us to double check our gear before splashdown.

I’m glad you did not let it ruin the rest of your diving in Bonaire!

Thanks for the replies. The inflator hose had been removed for packing and then when my hubby put it back together, he hadn't gotten it screwed in tight. It seemed fine when I put air in it before I jumped in. It was only in the water that I couldn't get it to hold air. I did have my hands on both integrated weight handles with the thought of letting them go (which would have probably been the best solution), but I am embarrassed to say that I remember hearing how difficult they are to replace and just didn't want to drop them if I didn't have to. It all felt so silly at the same time so intense -- kinda weird.

For reasons just like this, I dont like the dives in Cozumel where they have you jump in with no air in, and just sink. Glad everything worked out okay.

I am sorry to hear about your bad experience. I have also had the inflator on my bcd not screwed in all the way. Just for future reference, I removed my BCD and held it infront of me to find out what the problem was. When I figured it out I re-installed the hose and put the bcd back on. Prior to my years of diving, I feel that I too would have reacted just as you did.
The class that gave me the most confidence in my abilities to handle different situations was the Rescue Diver class. I would highly suggest that you sign up for that class and take it. Situations like what you went thru will only help to make you more aware, and a better diver. Good luck, dont give up. Most of us at one point or another have experienced something uncomfortable while diving. Continue your education, you will learn so much!!! Also, I would be willing to bet that your hubby will now be more attentive of you in the water!!!

For reasons just like this, I dont like the dives in Cozumel where they have you jump in with no air in, and just sink. Glad everything worked out okay.

Thats news to me. What op did you dive with down there? Ya, I kinda prefer a nice orderly descent! :D

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom