First time. Two times. Odd event. Few Pics.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
FINALLY got in the water after a month...a month.

Got to hit up two new (to me) spots. First, saturday afternoon started with a plan to do Kewalo (a?) pipe. Probably going to be a little churned up out there but I didn't mind...like I said...it had been a month.

So. Yada yada yada we get a hold of two kayaks and head out to Rabbit Island. Thing of it is, that was my first kayak dive and my buddy had only been a few times. We figured we were physically and mentally capable of handling this. After a very inefficient donning of gear and anchoring of boats we were in the water. What a good idea. The water was super calm and the vis was about 75ft. Cruised around for a while and saw some Ono and lots of small fish hangin' around. Pretty uneventful but great to be out.

Buddy KJ
PB170886copy.jpg

Dive number two. Sunday afternoon. Hanauma bay. Yeah, I've never been there. My tank still getting inspected, we tried to pick up tanks at IDH in hawaii kai.

PB180906.jpg

"Well the morning charter just got back and they said the air tasted funny so we had to bleed all the tanks and shut down the compressor. But we do have two AL100's sitting back here."

2049390106_18a766af5b.jpg

We took those tanks to Hanauma bay. My buddy hadn't seen the video, but gave an oceanography speech there a week earlier and we still had to watch it. 7mm. That's all I'm going to say. We bought a round trip tram ride and headed down. We got in the water and headed to looker's left and followed some ways off the wall. We got all the way to the point still with 1500psi. It was beautiful over there. There was so much coral. Polarly opposite from any other part of hanauma bay that gets trampled daily.

PB180900copy.jpg

Anyway we surfaced at the buoys in the center and were going to take the channel back in. This was after a 1 hour 36 minute dive. There was a lifeguard on a surfboard waiting for us when we got there. We looked to the beach and saw it was completely empty...but it was only 4:00. The other lifeguards were in their towers whistling at us and waving us in...

Turns out almost immediately after the power went out to the entire facility and they closed the beach. They new we were in there but were banking on us being down for about 45 minutes. Woops...not with these hundies on our backs.

Myself, after and hour and a half.
PB180917copy.jpg

The tram stopped running in the interim and we had to walk up in the end...

2049389560_45400b22fb.jpg

OUCH! luggin' 100's up that hill :11:

i did 2 dives on Hanauma Friday.. awesome viz!
first dive.. went down the trans-pac-cable.. then hung a right to "Witches Brew".. no Tigers =/
second dive.. started at the trans-pac-cable.. then turned left to "Toilet Bowl"..
from there, went to the North-East point.. to the large archway..
did you see the arch?

Sounds like a blast. I snorkled Hanauma Bay back in 2004 while I was there with my wife on our 25th anniversary. We went out way farther than the life guards were comfortable with, but we got to see some very nice coral away from where everyone else was trampling the coral. I would like to try some kayak diving in Florida. I think it would work pretty well.

Thanks for the report - do you know of any online maps of the dive areas at Hanauma? Some of those descriptive names V rattled off sound interesting. Only ever snorkeled there, one day gotta get a tank down to the beach I guess.

btw - what's the entry fee like now? I've not been there since it was all free back in the 80's

Aloha, Tim

OUCH! luggin' 100's up that hill :11:

second dive.. started at the trans-pac-cable.. then turned left to "Toilet Bowl"..
from there, went to the North-East point.. to the large archway..
did you see the arch?

We hung back to the inner part of that reef at that time. Didn't see the arch. I'll have to check out Witches' brew sometime.

Thanks for the report - do you know of any online maps of the dive areas at Hanauma? Some of those descriptive names V rattled off sound interesting. Only ever snorkeled there, one day gotta get a tank down to the beach I guess.

btw - what's the entry fee like now? I've not been there since it was all free back in the 80's

Aloha, Tim

This is what they have right off their site. Map of Hanauma Bay, City and County of Honolulu

If you're a resident of Hawaii entry to the park is free. Just have some picture ID.

Well, the entrance fee is waived, but you do have to sit through the video.

Dave,

Please don't tell me you guys donned your gear on the kayak. You are supposed to put it in the water and donn it. Crazy man.

Dave,

Please don't tell me you guys donned your gear on the kayak. You are supposed to put it in the water and donn it. Crazy man.

Nah, we did it in the water...but wetsuits too. It was only a ten minute paddle, so we could have worn them from shore. Just an extra hassle. stiff current that day.

Ohhh. Cool deal. Yea, we have done more than 3 mile paddles in wetsuits, not too bad. You just keep it around your waist of course. Too bad you didn't see any Tigers out there. Rabbit Island is like the corner bar for them I think. I mean Tigers with a capital "T", not pretty little shells.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom