First time to Lake Jocassee

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

MGDiver

New
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
We are going to be camping at Lake Jocassee over Labor Day with a group of mostly non-divers. At least one day, we will be out on a pontoon boat exploring. I hate to be on any body of water without getting under it so I'm thinking that the two of us can capitalize on time when we might stop for a lunch break and slip over the side to see what we might see. I know we'd probably be better off going on one of the trips through a local shop or I've seen some posts mentioning a shore site, but we sort of have to stay near the group.

I don't expect to see a whole lot, but given that it is a new lake for me, I want to make sure that I'm not setting us up for a mistake that I just don't see coming.

Thoughts?

You will probably see a bunch of boats over by the cliff. They are on top of the "Junk" a old wooden pleasure boat that vaguely resembles a chinese junk in a bout 60 feet of water. From there you can find flamingo road, the game table, the ski boat and the wall.

From the secondary ramp area (you will probably see a bunch of divers there) you go outf from the ramp, turn left and you will find the bones family. Out there somewhere (I think there is a line) there is also an airplane wing.

Conditions are usually pretty clear (for lakes) since the area doesn't have all the development that other lakes have dumping in chemicals and fertilizers that make the algea grow.

Have fun!

87b388d8.jpg

c323c52f.jpg

nightmare1024.jpg

If you are camping at the state park campground, keep going past the right turn into the camping area to the remote boat ramps. You will come to a fork in the road. Take the right fork to the divers ramp. It is 3 boat ramps with two of them blocked off for divers to use and it has low boat traffic in that area. Boats are to stay out of the cove to the left of the ramp as you face the lake. The Bones Family lives in the cove on the left side.

If the family wants to hang out on the ramp and set up a canopy they will be in good company as many divers do the same. The kids can feed the fish in that area and play in the water a bit. If the family just wants to hang out and take in a great view or get a tan, the ramp is the place to do that.

You can do any kind of dive you want off the ramp. I really like to stay shallow in about 10-25' of water and just watch the fish. I see the most fish in that range as I follow the shore line around the cove.

If you head straight the ramp on the far left side you will pass 2 dive platforms. The2lake is down about 20 feet so the 40 foot one is now in 20 and the 60 in about 40. off the back side of the 2nd platform you will see a trampoline frame and a guideline. Off the back of that is gets deep very quickly and you can reach deeps well over 100 feet in just a few kicks. Beyond that is the forest. Have never been there myself, but I hear that is both cool as well as a bit tricky. Was diving with a group last year and one guy took a stick in the mask and nearly missed his eye. That was the end of that mask. Have heard of people getting a bit tangled, but lots of people go there and have a good time. Just be aware of where you are if you go that deep and plan gas accordingly.

If you want to take a charter to the Wall, you can go with Off the Wall Diving or the Scuba Shop. I use Off the Wall most of the time when I take a charter but have dealt with both and have no complaints. Off the Wall has 32 % nitrox on tap all the time and can blend special gas mixes or tri mix upon prior request.

I like diving the cove off the divers ramp the best as I can take my time on the dives and go at my own pace.

The Bones family usually lives in about 40 feet of water in the cove on the left, but now they are 20 feet and complaining about the hot water! It consists of Mr Bones and his hot blonde bombshell wife--Mrs Bones, Fisher Bones and his yellow fishing pole, Momma and Baby Bones. Last time I was there Momma was sitting in her chair with drink in hand and her head tossed back as if to say I can't take these screaming kids any more--when will school start! Baby is of course too young for school and sits screaming for joy on Momma's lap with hands held high waving in the air. They always welcome a new diver and look forward to saying hello! LOL

Hope you have a good time diving. If you have any other questions, feel free to post and I will try to answer or point you in the direction of someone who can.

If you want to know more about this history of Jocassee before Duke Power flooded the valley a great resource is www.jocasseeremembered.com There is also some dive footage of the Attakula Lodge which now rests in 300 feet of water when the lake is at full pond. There was a dive on her yesterday with the group from Off the Wall Dive Charters and some great new footage was taken and a bit more exploration of the site. Deb will probably put some of that new footage up on her site as soon as some of the editing is done.

By the way if you see Sue from Divers Supply out of Georgia-- make sure you congratulate her for being the first woman to dive the Attakula Lodge. Sue is nice gal and a great diver. Always enjoy bumping into her group when they come up this way to dive. She has worked really hard to get ready for this dive and handled herself quite well in the water from what I hear. Way to go Sue!

You can see Fisher Bones' legs in the right of that picture that Mike posted if you look closely. The Divers Nightmare pic that Mike took is one of my favorite Jocassee pictures. I would agrue that the title is wrong. I would call it Divers Rest as I spend a lot of time hovering near such trees and roots looking and fish, resting and wishing I could stay longer before going to the surface. I often have that picture that Mike was kind enough to share with me as my back ground on my laptop. It creeps non divers out, but every diver I have showed it too, just says ahhhh! That is nice, that is a great picture. I wish I were diving now!

Found me out...just trying to keep the NOOBs under control! :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom