First time to Indo, want to do my divemaster, based on my preferences where do I go?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Ok, I know you are all right, I admit. I really want to eventually be able to dive every day, as my job. I don't care if I won't make much money btw. :)
I think I will do my DM course here. I have a connection with the leader of S.T.A.R.S International here who can be my instructor and I will be able to work with the handicapped and at-risk youth and assisting with them while doing the course.
I was trying to mix business with pleasure! You are all so right, if I am in Indo for the first time...I won't want to work the entire time being a "tank monkey" as you call it!
Maybe do the dirty work here where I can continue my regular job while training and make $$ for my Assistant Instructor and IDC and so on....and do a pleasure trip or two in the meantime, maybe scout out where I might want to look for an instructor job when the time comes.
I appreciate all of your inputs!

---------- Post added June 12th, 2014 at 05:20 PM ----------

I admit, you are right Lorenzoid!

Will Two Fish let you move between their locations while you are doing the DM course? If their DM internship is like most I'm familiar with, the course is going to take up most or all of your four weeks, and you'll be expected to do some work, helping take care of their guests, etc.--in other words, learning DM-ish things beyond what's in the course itself. If like most internships, your ability to wander off elsewhere for fun dives is limited. Sorry I keep going back to questioning the ease of mixing DM training with fun diving, but it strikes me as a poor tradeoff to attempt both when you only have four weeks in an incredible (and big) place like Indonesia. I'll have to bow out at this point, as my knowledge of Indonesia really is pretty thin. I've only taken two trips there (but Raja Ampat in 2016 is a goal). Whatever you decide, I'm sure it will be a great experience.

Hello!
I'm ready to do my divemaster and since I have only been to the Caribbean before I would love to do it in Indonesia but am having a hard time choosing a location. I have spent the last week reading threads in this forum and am still confused, there are just so many choices! Since I will be spending a decent amount of time in one spot I want to make sure it has what I like.
So, I love the small stuff, especially nudis and searching for all the things that cannot be seen simply drifting by. I love lush coral gardens and walls covered in brilliant fish. I'm especially excited about Indo because of the awesome biodiversity it boasts compared to the Caribbean. Just as equally I love big schools of fish (my dream is to be caught in the middle of a sardine run) and I need to be able to see something big, mantas, sharks, etc.

So since I wanted pretty badly to see the mantas I had decided on Nusa Lembongan (specifically Big Fish) but haven't figured out how good it will be for the small stuff and lush corals that I love equally since most of it is drift diving and I like to take my time and hunt in every crack and crevice for the itty bitty stuff too.......
Is Nusa Lembongan the wrong choice for me considering that (also I hear the water can be pretty chilly....)

As for a dive op, I want a safe, reliable and smaller operation where I will get personal attention and not be amongst a herd of others doing their divemaster certs. It would be nice to have the sites very near the dive op. I would very much like to see what muck diving is all about since the weird and wonderful fascinates me but I haven't seen it other than on You Tube! However, I don't want it to be ALL muck diving.

I have no interest in late-night partying, in fact I don't drink alcohol at all. I am interested in sitting around with other divers at the end of the day (maybe at a beachside bar or restaurant) and talking about the days events and going to bed early.

I think that is a pretty good description of my preferences......so......where would be best for me?!

Hi Christine :)

I can imagine you would have a difficult time choosing where to go for your professional dive training!
Above all other influences, your dive education must be your highest priority.

I am a full time PADI IDC Staff Instructor at Downbelow Marine and Wildlife Adventures, located in Kota Kinabalu, Sabah, Borneo.
Like yourself, I wanted nothing more than to immerse myself in scuba diving, and over time accomplished a career within the industry that I love.

I would like to offer you some assistance in your choice, as I really do feel our services will provide you with the needs you have outlined in your post.
A particular point you make and I agree with, is for the dive operation to be safe and reliable with emphasis on student attention.
Our island staff team are full time dive professionals who are dedicated and passionate about dive training from entry-level to instructor-level and beyond. For professional dive training, our GoPRO team of PADI Instructor Trainers will attend to the daily scheduling of our interns and one of our friendly and experienced PADI IDC Staff Instructors is assigned as your mentor, and our interns benefit from our ‘team-teaching’ method too.

Get To Know Our GoPro Staff Team | IDC Asia

We offer internship programs for all levels of professional training and the PADI Divemaster course is integrated into a great package to include your accommodation, transfer logistics between our island beach house and city centre accommodation. A buffet lunch and free flow refreshments at the beach house, as well as UNLIMITED scuba diving during the 1 month internship program. The PADI Divemaster course can be completed in as little as 10 days, however, the course training is scheduled over a month for candidates to fully experience the dive lifestyle.

PADI Divemaster | IDC Asia

Our premier PADI 5 Star IDC Dive Centre is located on Gaya Island a few minutes from Kota Kinabalu mainland and within the parameters of the protected Tunku Abdul Rahman Park. The marine park consists of 5 islands, of which we have our pick of 49 reefs and we conduct 3 boat dives a day, everyday of the year too! There is also the option of jetty and/or shore diving just a few metres from the front doorstep of our island beach house too, so you’ll be spoilt for choice for dive sites! Muck diving and macro life is a popular pastime in the local dive community in Sabah, as well as photography. Our island staff team regularly competes with each other to find a rare creature, particularly nudibranchs!
We are also very fortunate to be situated in the annual migration path of the whale sharks too, so there’s an opportunity to witness these marine giants!

Our Facilities | IDC Asia

We sell beer at the island office, and only after dive activities, but no bar or restaurant, and the city centre accommodation we provide for our interns is within walking distance to all practical needs, such as clinics, pharmacies, restaurants, bars, pubs, shopping centres, cinemas and more!
At Downbelow we are all divers living the diving dream and love nothing more than sharing our passion by delivering our high standard of quality dive education!

If you have any more questions about our internship program message me, or you can contact one of our friendly Head Office staff based in Kota Kinabalu Times Square who can offer you further information and arrange a suitable itinerary to suit your own individual needs!

Good luck, Christine! And enjoy your dive experiences, whether it’s professional or recreational!

Lembongan is a great place for diving. But also the rest of Indonesia. Think also about how many students a dive center gets. You have to assist course. Also think about what u like to become a divemaster or in the future an instructor. At Oceans 5 dive resort, a PADI CDC center, the divemaster trainees will leave as the same level as a future instructor. The divemaster course doesn't take the min 2 weeks but between the 6 and 8 weeks. At the end of the course u will be confided to guide diver all by urself in safe manner.

Gili Air is not the same as Gili Trawangan. Is is not that busy, and we have always guest after the dives around for a talk....

Cheers, Happy bubbles

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom