First Time to Freeport, Bahamas???

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

av8er23

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I will be visiting the Bahamas September 20-23. I plan on doing a little diving while I am there. We are staying at the Sheraton at Our Lucaya. I understand that UNEXSO is very close by and we plan on diving with them.

I have a couple questions:
1. What dive sites are recommended if we only do two dives?
2. Is the shark dive worth the money?
3. Is there anything to see by snorkeling off the beach (Deadman's Reef)?
4. What are some good restaurants in the International Bazaar?
5. Is the Lucayan National Park worth visiting?

Please share any information. Thanks

Scott

I will be visiting the Bahamas September 20-23. I plan on doing a little diving while I am there. We are staying at the Sheraton at Our Lucaya. I understand that UNEXSO is very close by and we plan on diving with them.

5. Is the Lucayan National Park worth visiting?

Please share any information. Thanks

Scott

Only 2 dives :confused: sorry to hear it!!

Yes, Grand Bahama Scuba will pick you up at your hotel if you make previous arrangements. I highly recommend them!!

You can see the same sharks as the ones you see with UNEXSO but for less $

Recently on some dives, wild dolphins have been showing up.

snorkeling?......Not when I could be diving!!

Lot's of good restaurants. I always get to Zorba's at least once. Great Fish!! We also enjoy Awesome Fries at the Pub once or twice a week. These are in Port Lucaya, not the International bazaar) The last time I was there there wasn't much of anything open in the Bazaar. There are many other good restaurants.

The park is nice, but I'd rather be diving!! :D

Duncan's wreck (The SeaStar II) is one of my favorite dives. Theo's is always fun. Pygmy Caves, Tunnels, and Plate Reef are also some of my favorites.

Let us know how it goes!!

I'll be arriving there in 25 more days :D:14:

5. Is the Lucayan National Park worth visiting

Sheraton at Our Lucaya is right across the street from UNEXSO 5 min walk

1.Dive sites Sea Star or Theo's wreck dive 1, Papa Doc's Dive 2

2. the shark feeding dive is worth every penny you can also dive shark junction as a regular dive
and will see plenty of sharks, the dolphin dive is outstanding also

3.Deadmans reef great snorkeling , but i agree with Rick go diving.........

4.restaurants you will be better off in Port Lucaya I like Shenanigan's Irish Pub

5.Lucayan National Park has got a great beach but it is a long drive 25 miles or so

Have Fun, dive safe

Jim

Grand Bahama Scuba, Fred and Melinda are great and will pick you up. Duncan's Wreck (Sea Star) is great, Shark Junction, Plate Reef, Badger Wreck and lots of other sites they are all great.

Eating in Port Lucaya is best most everything in the Bazaar is closed. Le Med and Pisces Resturants were both good. Hit Le Med 3 times, they had great stone crab special.

Have fun, dive safe

Thanks for all the input guys. The weather has me worried. It is forcast to rain every day and that area of Low pressure off the coast may churn up the water..

I wouldn't worry about it. Usually the rains don't last long.......... Unless there is a Tropical storm or Hurricane. I hope not!!

Once a few years ago I saw 30' vis off of Grand Bahama. It was like diving in Lake Erie only a lot warmer!! It was just that one time though.

Have a great trip and be sure to tell us about it when you get back.

No matter how bad you want to.........They won't let you stay!! :wink:

My wife usually cries every year when we leave!! :11:

Scott, Maybe I'll see you in Lucaya. I was wondering about that low pressure system also, looks like it will be OK now. I went ahead and booked it today, heading down in the morning. Staying at Pelican Bay since they had the best deal in town at an average of $79 plus tax.(stay 2 nights 3rd night free). Diving with Unexso.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom