First Time to Fiji

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Where else in Kadavu did you dive? We are looking at resorts on Ono Island in the archipelago for next autumn (late Oct/early Nov). I'll keep an eye out for your trip report.
Bear in mind I was on a boat, not at a resort, and we dove the northern side of the island, not the southern (more exposed) side. based on my notes, we dove:
Namara (not much to see & covered with sand)
Alacrity
M&M
Mellow Yellow
Eye Catcher
Pitonms (twice)
M&M (night dive)
Donna Ella
Day Dream
Fantacy
Voyager (wreck)
Bombshell
Labrynth (we liked this one a lot)
Jeannie's Rock

Thanks all, this is fantastic information! We really want to dive the Astrolabe but a liveaboard isn't in the cards this trip (my partner is opposed). Can we do Northern Astrolabe from a land-based resort? I don't see an option for that, but perhaps I'm missing something. I was considering Matava but I think that is Kadavu diving.

There are a few resorts on Ono Island, on the northeastern end of the Kadavu archipelago which should give you access to the Northern Astrolabe Reef. Tiliva Resort is also on the northeastern part of Kadavu proper, but I'm not sure how far north they go for diving.

There is a resort on Ono Island called Koromakawa. We were there a few years ago over Christmas. There is one guest house so you are the only ones at the resort. The food was amazing. Since you are the only guests, it is up to you when and where you want to dive. Karin and Spencer are the owners and the nicest people you will ever meet. It is truly lifestyles of the rich and famous. It is the ultimate in diving freedom and island paradise. The reviews on TripAdvisor are accurate.

Thanks for the info! Also working on planning a trip for 2018. I'd love to be on a liveaboard but can't convince the rest of the group. Sigh....

We are huge Fiji fans. Don't miss Taveuni - it's the most amazing island!

The Rainbow Reef/Somosomo Strait is host to the most incredible soft coral I've ever seen.

We've been to Garden Island Resort twice and recommend them highly. Dives are led by local divemasters who know the waters well. We had a great time with them and saw SO MANY amazing underwater critters and corals during our stay.

Fiji Trip Report - Garden Island Resort/Taveuni

Hi! First post here. My girlfriend and I are halfway through our SSI certification, a referral dive to Fiji. So we will do our 4 open water dives in Fiji, and are looking for some tips.

At the moment it seems we will finish our training and do those 4 dives from Volivoli (North-East tip of Viti Levu) since there's a good SSI centre there.

We're looking for tips for the second week, when it looks like we will be based in Savusavu, or at least fly there, and then go from there, thinking of basing ourselves on Taveuni island. Any tips for people for whom this will most probably be the only trip to Fiji (seeing as we live on the opposite side of the world)?

Thanks a lot!

I just got back from Beqa Lagoon (on recommendation from a friend who went in 2012) and, while the resort was beautiful, the people were friendly, and the shark dives were absolutely amazing, I wouldn't recommend the resort. It was poorly run and I had numerous issues, plus I had some safety concerns about the dive operation. It wasn't a terrible trip, mind you, but I would not go back to that particular resort.

Hoping others may chime in with better options, as I'd love to go back to Fiji but just not there.
Oh crap. I'm going to Beqa Lagoon in August! Can you tell me what the safety concerns were? Anything I should be particularly aware of?

Hi. Did I reply? Anyway, the answer would be Yes, you can dive Namena while based on Taveuni, but it is about an hours boat ride and they will not be doing it every day, and possibly not at all during your stay, so check in advance. Namena based, could do the opposite and take you to Taveuni for the Somosomo strait. Unless you are complete beginners, none of the dives are out of reach. The current in Somosomo is fun but can be a little challenging to the novice, but it's not that tough ;-)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom