First Time to Fiji

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I doubt any of the dives will be limited by your experience. Somosomo is a drift but nothing too scary. Just go with the flow. You can dive Namena while based in Savusavu and also from Taveuni but I doubt the Taveuni operators do it that often as it is a bit far. you can go to Savusavu just as easily as to Taveuni, and it is a nice town to visit, then get the ferry to Taveuni - takes a few hours only.

Just got back two weeks ago. Only diving was at Beqa Lagoon Resort and the Nai'a

I can concur on the BLR reports. I won't go into details, but I've dived in a lot of places, am not high maintenance nor is our group, but you couldn't pay me to dive with them again. The resort is OK, the staff is very good, but the dive op is a joke. Complaints run from mere scheduling and organization to safety issues (we had to demand that they analyze our EANx). They are currently looking for a dive op manager (currently listed here on SB as well), an it shows. The new manager (who was an a hole BTW), said he started about 10 weeks ago and surprisingly revealed it was the worst op he ever came into. Surprisingly the shark dive was the one dive related thing they did well

The Nai'a was great, we dove Vatu-i-Ra, Namena, Wakaya and Gau. Namena was great but wouldn't want to spend more than 2 or 3 days diving the sites as they seemed (?) limited. Maybe not. The island still looked well beat up from Winston

Friend was with us went to Wananavu in the Raki Raki area, they love the resort but said they also have new management, so there are issues. But may get to the Vatu-I-Ra bligh waters area, which was the best diving of the trip. We saw their day boats there.

If for any reason you need a place to just chill for 2 or 3 days and get over jet lag, Toberua Island Resort was fantastic. They have a dive op but since I had a cr@pton of diving to do, i didn't bother as I don';t think it's anything to write home about.

Lots of places to stay around Savusavu, which gives you access to multiple dive locations: Namena, Somosomo and the southern Vanua Levu coast. We stayed at Namale in 2016 and dove with KoroSun Dive the entire time (Namale's boat was being repaired at the time). Lots of diversity, and we were always the only ones on the dive sites. We didn't make it to Somosomo, but KoroSun Dive does charters there if they have enough divers.

We're planning to return next year to the Kadavu area.

Kadavu Group/Great Astrolabe Reef corals were in great shape end of October. We were in the Yaukuve Levu area. Lucky to have breaks in the wind and rain though it was mostly overcast. Lots of sharks to see. Coral was spawning so.lots of schools of fish up the food chain. :)

Last edited:
I literally came back from Fiji today (11/12). Northern Great Astrolabe was fabulous. Kadavu sites, not so much. Better as you moved further west but out first/checkout dive at Namara Island was sandy, silty, rubble. But pretty much night and day between the two. Only a couple of sharks in fours days at Kadavu (weather limited where we could go). Much better at N. Astrolabe. Working on my trip report and pix. I'll post links here in a few days.

I've never been to Fiji, but friends highly recommend Fiji aggressor
I just came off a week on the Aggressor and - dive site conditions notwithstanding (and certainly outside of their control) - I was very happy with the crew. Captain Joji did everything he could to find us the best sites available (and there weren't many due to wind) and the crew was top-notch. The boat itself needs some TLC and is somewhat small-ish as Aggressor go but, with a max of 10 divers, is certainly adequate. I would definitely take another group on the F.A. again.

Taxi or tourist transfer bus back to Nadi and home. stay at Raffles Gateway if you have to overnight in Nadi.
Now known as Fiji Gateway Hotel. Very nice, right across the street (literally) from the airport, free shuttle, restaurant was good too.

I literally came back from Fiji today (11/12). Northern Great Astrolabe was fabulous. Kadavu sites, not so much. Better as you moved further west but out first/checkout dive at Namara Island was sandy, silty, rubble. But pretty much night and day between the two. Only a couple of sharks in fours days at Kadavu (weather limited where we could go). Much better at N. Astrolabe. Working on my trip report and pix. I'll post links here in a few days.

Where else in Kadavu did you dive? We are looking at resorts on Ono Island in the archipelago for next autumn (late Oct/early Nov). I'll keep an eye out for your trip report.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom