First time to Cebu need help

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

flipperhead

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I am going August 7-11 to Cebu and effectively have only 3 full days. Where shoudl i should go given the weather/time of year to dive. I have been reading about Bohol and Moalboal. I am an advanced diver and my friend an intermediate. Distances seem large and some of the places may seem too troublesome. Our default is Mactan island but not sure of how good the dive quality. Any advice one where i should go for a first trip to Cebu considering the time of year?

give us a list of your preferences regarding accommodations, types of dives and types of marine life you enjoy seeing.

Bohol is doable since you can ferry it from Mactan (assuming you fly in to Cebu). Diving in Mactan is good - check out Gilutugan one day and Nalasuan the next. That's 2/3 of your days.

But what Jigo said - it would help if you give us a list of your preferences regarding accommodations, types of dives and types of marine life you enjoy seeing.

On Mactan, we were looking at Shangri-la and Abaca Boutique Resort. Generally like nicer 4-5 star resorts. In small villages, I would stay at the nicest place. My friend may not do diving all three days and want to do topside activities which could be the pool to hiking hence why i thought bohol?. As for diving, I have dove all over the world and tend to like to see big stuff, schools of fish, turtles, sharks, rays. I've seen all these things so many times but never seem to tire.

On Mactan, we were looking at Shangri-la and Abaca Boutique Resort. Generally like nicer 4-5 star resorts. In small villages, I would stay at the nicest place. My friend may not do diving all three days and want to do topside activities which could be the pool to hiking hence why i thought bohol?. As for diving, I have dove all over the world and tend to like to see big stuff, schools of fish, turtles, sharks, rays. I've seen all these things so many times but never seem to tire.

I just got back from a trip to Moalboal, and the diving there was excellent (stayed at Kasai Village Resort). At the end of the trip, we stayed at Shangri-la for a couple of nights. I spent one day there diving (dive operator is called Scotties, I believe). The diving around Mactan was actually very good. The dive operator was reasonable, too.

I just got back from a trip to Moalboal, and the diving there was excellent (stayed at Kasai Village Resort). At the end of the trip, we stayed at Shangri-la for a couple of nights. I spent one day there diving (dive operator is called Scotties, I believe). The diving around Mactan was actually very good. The dive operator was reasonable, too.
Thanks for the info. I saw from your pictures (nice!) you went to Bohol. Did you dive? How did it compare to Moalboal. Places to recommend?

Thanks for the info. I saw from your pictures (nice!) you went to Bohol. Did you dive? How did it compare to Moalboal. Places to recommend?

Both Moalboal and Bohol were great. I would go back to either in a heartbeat. I had a slight preference for Bohol, and my wife preferred Moalboal. One reason to choose Bohol would be the great dive sites at the island of Balicasag. From Panglao, it is a 40 minute boat ride to Balicasag, which had spectacular dive sites. My favorite was Black Forest. Sites closer to Alona included BBC (Bohol Beach Club) and Arco Point, which were also great. Moalboal was excellent, too. All of the dive sites we went to near Kasai Village resort were great. The best were the ones at Pescador Island, which were the farthest boat rides, but only 20 minutes from Kasai Village Resort.

Here is a link to the Bohol pics: 2009 bohol philippines - a set on Flickr

and here is one to the Moalboal pics: 2009 moalboal philippines - a set on Flickr

If it were me, I would go to whichever has the resort you prefer. Either is a great choice.

Back
Top Bottom