First Time To Bonaire Trip Report

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

newmanl

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
2500 - 4999
Hi Folks,

First I would like to say thanks for all the info back a few months when we were looking for info on Bonaire - it all really helped.

We recently got back from our trip, so here's the quick and dirty:

We stayed at the Carib Inn - a great place if you'd rather be left alone. Sure, they were available and helpful if we needed/wanted something, but otherwise, they left us alone. The room was everything we needed and nothing we didn't (pool patio #5) and it was very clean - quite comfortable.

We ate out/dined in about 50/50 - Divi was good for lunch, It Rains Fishes was very classy for dinner and Richards made a great "last supper". No complaints about the food or prices, but the speed of service could use a little work, even for "Island time".

Rented a truck from Poppy - amazing! Fast, friendly service with none of the hassles.

I did 52 dives in the three weeks and my wife did 37 - she just wasn't comfortable with night diving for the first two weeks, but then on her first spotted a pair of black brotula... and me with no camera as it was her first night dive... I think I was scammed!

We had a great time, but were somewhat disappointed with the obvious eutrophication (pollution) evident in the shallows - if the park authority really wants to protect the reef, the pollution issue needs to be addressed (I know, Victoria BC needs to do the same).

The trip was primarily aimed at getting my wife a lot of diving experience and me a lot of time with the camera - not to mention a big disconnect with our normal routine at home. Here are a few of the images I made...

Lee

IMG_9488.jpg

IMG_9331.jpg

IMG_9206.jpg

IMG_8867.jpg

IMG_8706.jpg

IMG_7931.jpg

IMG_7803.jpg

Wow. You got some gorgeous pictures. Glad you enjoyed Bonaire; I've been twice and am itching to go again someday.

Richard.

i was there in Nov last year and there was a lot of sand damage from the hurricane. Did you see alot of damage when you were there.

great pics. what kind of camera?

Hi Richard - Thanks for the very kind words. I hope you get to go back soon!

DiverVince - Thanks for the generous comment. I very much appreciate it.

N.E. Diver - Thanks, the set-up was a Canon 30D in an Ikelite housing, with a DS-160 and the lenses were a Sigma 15/2.8 fisheye, a Canon 28/1.8 and a Canon 100/2.8 macro.

DiveScoop - Thanks for the comment.

Martha - Thanks!

Lee

The effects of pollution is always heartbreaking, isn't it? Too bad our attitude was "dillution is the solution" for too danged long. <sigh>

Great shots....you definitely made waiting another 5 weeks until we arrive on island a bit harder!!

Beautiful pictures~ Thanks for the report! We are staying at the Carib Inn June 22nd-30th..

Can't wait!!

N.E Diver and all, we did not have a hurricane last year. Omar was a tropical storm when it passed. I know, picky picky but we are outside the hurricane belt and I believe it's been 100 years since we had a direct hit from a hurricane. Indeed Omar made a mess but I was out and about for the two days of the storm. Work and school continued. The reefs had damage to the north and some piers were knocked out. My dive clients are thrilled with the over 80 great shore dives available on island.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom