First time to Bonaire. Good ship wrecks?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DXHI

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I enjoy reef diving as much as the next person; I really like diving old ship wrecks… think of a kid at Christmas when there is a wreck on the schedule.

Also enjoy the big creatures .. sharks turtles and rays. Anyplace I should hit in particular

The Hilma Hooker is the main wreck dive. Years ago in front of Eden's Beach Resort, a site called Eden's Rubble is the house 'reef,' there was the wreck of the Bakanal, but that was a boat wreck, not a ship, and it's been many years so I don't know what's left now. I'm speaking of recreational depths, which are all I dive. If you are a tech. diver, that might change things.

10 Trips and I've never seen a shark diving Bonaire. Green and loggerhead sea turtles (mostly small), southern and eagle rays, yes. Green moray eels, tarpon, barracuda, cubera snapper, occasional tiger grouper, once a manta (or mobula) though that was a rare fluke...so there's some 'big stuff,' but Bonaire's not really known for that.

There are a number of small wrecks, some mosty rubble. One is in a boat-channel to the marina, and is an unmarked, somewhat dangerous site. Another is beyond recreational depths. One terrific wreck is the Windjammer, an old sailing vessel, quite deep, very much a technical dive, and requires a guide and permission. The only large wreck is the Hilma Hooker, which is divable from shore although the entry is difficult; I prefer it as a boat dive. Don't go to Bonaire for the big stuff, although there are the occasional sharks, spotted eagle rays at some of the southern sites, and southern stingrays here and there at sandy locations. Don't miss Turtle City on the east side, going out with Bonaire East Coast Diving; easy to see 30, 50, maybe 60+ big green sea turtles. Loggerheads are rare (many big, old greens are misidentified as loggerheads), but there some hawksbills. Lots of green morays, some quite large, and scattered whitespotted morays and a few chain morays. Bonaire is for seahorses and frogfish, not big stuff. Be sure and take some boat dives to Klein and some of the northern sites on Bonaire; those who do only hshore diving miss a lot of really good sites.

....Don't miss Turtle City on the east side, going out with Bonaire East Coast Diving; easy to see 30, 50, maybe 60+ big green sea turtles. .....Bonaire is for seahorses and frogfish, not big stuff. Be sure and take some boat dives to Klein and some of the northern sites on Bonaire; those who do only hshore diving miss a lot of really good sites.
Agree with this 100%....the east side is also going to be your best bet at seeing sharks, but still not guaranteed. Bonaire isn't very "sharky". LOL Bonaire is a "shore diving" place, but make sure you get on a boat or two if you want to experience it all. :)

Thanks for all the replies guys

Is that Buddy's own Mr. Jimmy diving with you @doctormike? Awesome light & viz down there, thanks for sharing.

There are a couple other lesser wrecks - in front of the monstrosity that is the new resort is a small tug, maybe 80 foot. Off the mouth of the harbor is the Our Confidence.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom