first time out

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

f86sabjf

Registered
Reaction score
Hi Gang
I thought i would share this with everyone. I finally got my wife in the water today at Blue springs in Fla. We had both just purchsed all new equip from our local dive shop a few weeks ago and wanted to try it out. We arrived at the 8am opening and picked our spot for the day. After getting all of our new equipment out we headed for the water. A lovely 72deg welcomed us and my wife was a trooper and plunged in. After we figured all the new gear out we set off up current to the main spring. A cloudy day greeted us with only about 20-30ft vis at the springs headwaters so we headed back down the run. I started easing over to the trees and fallen timber looking for some fish to salvage the day. Sure enough they were there and i motioned for my wife to come over. As soon as she saw them all I could hear were screams of happiness thru the snorkel. We spent the next 2 1/2hrs exploring the area finding everything from bream to bass,freshwater mullet and some nice 2-3ft long gar. Needless to say she is pumped!!!! :D

Since this is new to both of us I would like suggestions for what you do with your stuff while your in the water??? I threw my car key in a watertight case and hoped for the best. Since we will be exploring more sites here in Fla just wandering what to do while were in the water for a long time with no eye on our personal belongings.

Thanks
Jeff

The answer is to have a car key that can get wet, such as the valet key or spare key w/o the microchip in it's handle.

I know of a lot of divers, surfers, and water sports enthusiasts who place a single key in their wetsuit and use that only to unlock the doors of their car. Usually their wetsuit will have a key pouch, but you could always glue scrap neoprene on the inside to make your own.
I know others who hide the key somewhere on the outside of their car.

The main consensus is that no one takes their whole set of keys outside their car, they just take the 1 key to unlock the driver's door.
All excessive valuables are left at home and all necessary valuables are left in the car hidden from view.

Thanks for the reply everyone
I figured on leaving all my expensive stuff in th etrunk locke dup and keep a key in on eof those watertight cases. I was meaning more like have you ever come back with your cooler and all that kind of stuff gone??
Most of our snorkeling will be in the freshwater springs that are all over central Florida until we get our swimming strength built up before we head to the ocean side of things. I suspect our first saltwater experience to be the keys in the next 6mths or so.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom