First time I've seen this: A Red Cabezon!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Uncle Pug

Swims with Orca
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
OE2X and I did and afternoon dive at EUP and he spotted this fellow...

red-cabby.jpg

...while I was busy giving another cabby an eye exam.

cabezon-eye.jpg

The above is full frame (unzoomed)... I had the camera inches from his face. :D

Well if you hadn't been flashing that camera strobe at him, he wouldn't have gotten angry and turned red on you. :D :D

I want to see more picts from the dive...

There must be something with a lot of red pigment that the fish there are eating . . . we saw a painted greenling yesterday that I didn't even recognize, because the stripes were so red.

On the other hand, the cabezon that Bob had a boxing match with was the normal color.

I have seen Cabs n California that had red in them, but not that bright. I wonder if perhaps it is a function of the depth the particular animal is at. After all, you all know what happens to red at depth, makes a good drab camoflauge

JustinW:
I wonder if perhaps it is a function of the depth the particular animal is at.
The one I was getting friendly with was normal color and only a few feet away from the red one.

near-red-cabby.jpg

FWIW... I did color adjust the red cabby photo by sampling the sand as gray to remove the green cast. Here is another photo without the adjustment.

untouched-red-cabby.jpg

Snowbear:
Cool pix! The red makes that Cabby look like an Irish Lord cousin.
OE2X thought that it was an Irish Lord... but if you check the Irish Lords in my gallery you can clearly see the difference. Today was the best viz I've seen at EUP so I think I might go there again soon and see if I can find another red cabby.

Uncle Pug:
... but if you check the Irish Lords in my gallery you can clearly see the difference.
Yes, I could clearly see the difference even without consulting the gallery as I have seen some of the same Red Irish Lords you have there.... which is why I commented that the red color was what made your cabby look like a cousin of the Irish Lord :wink:

Sorry - being a crappy communicator really is a PITA sometimes :rolleyes:

Uncle Pug:
Here is another photo without the adjustment.
Still looks pretty red!

I gotta order that latest version of PS Elements so I can do a better job of cleaning up my own pics.

Uncle Pug:
Today was the best viz I've seen at EUP so I think I might go there again soon and see if I can find another red cabby.
Hope you will share more pics if you do....

Back
Top Bottom