First time in Roatan

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Norwegian Cave Diver

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Looking for some advise on where to stay on Roatan. We typically like to rent a house for two weeks when we travel. Did that for our last holiday in Curacao last January and want to look at that again for our trip to Roatan. We are there for a relaxing holiday and diving most every day. 2 - 3 dives per day. Happy with shore dives and boat dives. Will bring all our own gear. Rent tanks and weights. Ocean front would be great. Ladies want a pool. 2 - 3 bedrooms and bathrooms. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks

I like Barefoot Cay. They have a cool two bedroom house on the property you can rent, right on the water. Also a few 1 bedroom bungalows we've rented before. Resort has everything you mentioned, and not the touristy part of town. Wonderful staff there too.

www.barefootcay.com
www.barefootdivers.com

Looking for some advise on where to stay on Roatan. We typically like to rent a house for two weeks when we travel. Did that for our last holiday in Curacao last January and want to look at that again for our trip to Roatan. We are there for a relaxing holiday and diving most every day. 2 - 3 dives per day. Happy with shore dives and boat dives. Will bring all our own gear. Rent tanks and weights. Ocean front would be great. Ladies want a pool. 2 - 3 bedrooms and bathrooms. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks

i thought I responded to you earlier but I guess not.

There's almost no shore diving on Roatan outside of the AI dive resorts. Cocoview has 3, Barefoot^ has none and Anthony's Key about 1.5 if you count their muck dive in between the mainland and the Key. I think overwater cabanas at any of them are 1-2 br. max unless couples want to share a room - some have two larger beds.

There's a few places I can think of but one of the bigger issues you'll have is finding anyone to rent you tanks/weights you can remove from the property. I know of one maybe - Sueno Del Mar in the West End - an older smaller hotel with a small beach that happens to be shore access to the Blue Channel dive site. The only reason I think they do is when our shop rented us a couple larger AL100's they were marked SDM property.

As far as a waterfront house with diving - maybe the best option is one of several houses just off Spooky Channel - they have a 400' dock to get you closer to the reef and it's for guest use only. It's these 4 houses specifically - VRBO - Sunnyside Vacation Rentals I think the smaller casita is shared by one of the other 3 - same pictures on both.

You'd still have to find tanks somewhere though - probably a 10min. drive to the West End if anywhere. Most shops have enough tanks for their guests boat use and not much else - there's not much demand for tanks when there's nowhere to use them. Even the shop we boat dove with offered us tanks only if they dropped us on West End Wall and we swam back into their dock. And my larger group was much of their business that week.

There's 2 larger houses rented by Cocoview that could be an option as you can then dive with them - I believe 24/7 to their 3 shore dives - Newman's Wall, the Prince Albert (I forget the last one's name) You can't day visit at Cocoview - it's guests only. Last two on the list here - downside is it's pretty isolated and they have no pool.

Barefoot is a great option if you don't want to shore dive. Some of the villas on the Cay are lockouts so you can have part pr all of them. Probably only 2br's total but check. Excellent dive operation, restaurant, pool/spa area and they're literally 5mins. by boat from Mary's Place one of the signature Roatan dives. We also rode over to Cocoview and dove the Prince Albert for our 2nd dive. Not really any shore diving to speak of there but I have heard it gets to about 16' near the breakwater. Nice beach also, they rake/treat it for sand flies.
The DM told us maybe 1/2 their guests even dive daily so their boats are pretty uncrowded. If you have luggage restrictions, they have very nice, new looking Scubapro rental gear - a buddy remarked their rentals were better than his,

Honestly there are a lot of better places to shore dive than Roatan and quite a few have good dives right off your beachfront house. Bonaire is especially good, Aruba not so much (from what I've heard) Also St. Croix - much of the north shore has condos/houses for rent waterfront. An acquaintance lives there - he walks thru his neighbors back yard and dives Cane Bay Wall. The Pier on the south side is another good shore dive area. Scuba Shore Diving Site Listing for: USVI, St. Croix, Caribbean

Last edited:
West end one can swim to the reef....maybe call a realtor or vrby in Keyhole Bay? There's options.

West end one can swim to the reef....maybe call a realtor or vrby in Keyhole Bay? There's options.

We shore dive sites all over West Bay, West End, Sandy Bay as well as the south. The problem is that most shops will not rent tanks and weights. We own ours so not a problem. The marine park falsely thinks people shore diving will damage the reef so they "encourage" the dive ops not to rent tanks, it is a shame. Especially when those that run the marine park shore dive as well, or hire non-dive boat charters to take them out to save a few bucks.

Turquoise Bay has villas, I think they may have 2 and/or 3 brm ones. Not ocean front, but they do have a beach and a pool and nubile servers bringing tall drinks will little umbrellas. Heavily watered down but still... TBR is far away from "town" so there's nothing else there. (Not counting kayaks, paddle boards, and occasional horse rides.)

As others said, no shore diving. On-site dive op is great. Dives are 3 tanks/day most days: 2 before lunch and 1 after. The groups are 8 divers max but they may put 2 groups on one boat (still diving separately) on occasion.

Ok, Seagrape plantation at West end does have shore diving. The entry is easy but exit can be tough in waves since ladder is slippery. Suggest a dive plan that loops around to half moon and walk back. But boat dives are only $30 per dive so why hassle with shore diving.

Look on vrbo. Mangrove Docks is next door and meets your needs, but the pool is small, I think more of a plunge pool.

Pools are tough in a rental property since the use a lot of electricity to run the pumps. you need a bigger complex to offset the cost of the pool.

BTW most VRBO places cap electricity at $10 a day and you pay difference or They charge you for all electric by meter reading before and after. Expect an electric charge or make sure you ask if electric is included.

Last edited:
We stayed at Infinity Bay Resort in May of 2016 using VRBO for the second week of our vacation (the first week was at Anthony's Key Resort). During our stay at Infinity Bay Resort we did several shore dives out in front of the resort in West Bay. Resort staff supplied the tanks on the beach for 22$ each. The dive site "Mandy's Eel Garden" is straight out in front of the Resort. We surface swam out to the dive site buoy descended through a swim-through in the reef and down a vertical wall to the bottom at about 100ft. We would then go back up and over the reef and spend quit a bit of time in the shallow area (~20-30ft in depth) on the beach side of the reef making our way all the back to beach. My Wife and I are fairly new to diving and really had a blast diving independently from shore.

Ok, Seagrape plantation at West end does have shore diving. The entry is easy but exit can be tough in waves since ladder is slippery. Suggest a dive plan that loops around to half moon and walk back. But boat dives are only $30 per dive so why hassle with shore diving.

Seagrapes dive rate does not drop to $30/tank until you reach/book at least 10 dives, also, that does not include tips for divemaster, boat crew.

We stayed at Infinity Bay Resort in May of 2016 using VRBO for the second week of our vacation (the first week was at Anthony's Key Resort). During our stay at Infinity Bay Resort we did several shore dives out in front of the resort in West Bay. Resort staff supplied the tanks on the beach for 22$ each. The dive site "Mandy's Eel Garden" is straight out in front of the Resort. We surface swam out to the dive site buoy descended through a swim-through in the reef and down a vertical wall to the bottom at about 100ft. We would then go back up and over the reef and spend quit a bit of time in the shallow area (~20-30ft in depth) on the beach side of the reef making our way all the back to beach. My Wife and I are fairly new to diving and really had a blast diving independently from shore.

Yes-if you are staying at infinity they will provide tanks for shore diving at West Bay and there are some great spots along West Bay. I think they will only provide tanks if your staying there and only for launching from in front of the resort presumably to dive Mandy's Ell Garden but once out you can go either direction and dive anything along the West Bay.

I've always stayed and dove with CoCo View. They are a dive resort that caters very well to divers. I've always found their facilities clean and everyone is very friendly. Check out their website for pricing and availability.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom