First time diver and first time in Cozumel! What type of suit should I bring?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

another vote for 5 mm full suit and 2 mm beenie. I wear that much protection even in August/Sept. It drastically improves comfort and air consumption (as your body uses air to burn calories just to stay @ 98.6 degrees vs the ocean temps at 78 - 82 degrees approx). Although you may not notice it at first, your core body temp is being drained with each dive, and it's hard to recover that lost heat, so each dive gets you colder and colder. The key is to stay ahead of the curve and stay warm/comfy from the start and not try to play thermal catch up later on. I have never felt 'hot' in Cozumel with that level of protection, even in August. I've worm 7 mm full suit in Coz too and it was fine as well. I'm an average sized guy @ 5'8" , 175 lbs.

On the other hand, I dive Cozumel in a Lycra dive skin year round. I do wear a 3/2 full with a steel HP 120, but that's to avoid being overweighted. Not for warmth.
If you get cold easily, you will want a thick suit. If not, you won't.

Sent from an old fashioned 300 baud acoustic modem by whistling into the handset. Really.

Another vote here for the 5MM. I would recommend a full 5MM suite and a thin neoprene bonnet. My wife LOVES hers. She got it primarily to keep her hair under control under water but that little 1MM bonnet makes a big difference when it comes to heat loss as the vast majority of heat you lose is lost from you head. Many DM's in Cozumel wear hoods. Even in the summer... They'll wear nothing but still have that hood on.

5 mm is quite a bit more restrictive than a 3 but if you can stand that restriction that would be best for you. I personally use a 3mm and if i get cold, use a hooded vest underneath which works great. For me in tropical waters, if my neck and head are warm I am warm so I always tie on a neckerchief and a beanie which can be removed underwater and stowed in the BC.

I'll throw in my .02......I am a huge weenie about being cold. HUGE!! I don't own a 5 mil suit, and I'm too cheap to buy one when I already own 2 7 mil suits and 2 3 mil suits. I would probably bring my 7mil suit to Coz if I thought I would ever live that down on the boat. What I've found works for me is wearing the 3 mil with a 7 mil hood and 7 mil boots. If my head and feet are warm, the rest of me is generally warm too. I'm not discouraging you from getting a 5 mil, just offering another possibility that *may* end up cheaper than a thicker suit.

I was in Coz for New Year's. I dove in a 3mm and got a little chilled. Dive buddy wore a 5 and was very happy. I should have taken my 5 mm. Wear a beanie or hood. That does help.

Have a wonderful time, and give us an after action report! :)

whats the water temp over there this time of year? im from australia and have been diving in 18 degrees C with a 5mm suit but assumed water over in coz would be at least mid twenties???

ill be there in a few weeks and was just going to dive in shorts!

This time of year around 79 F (26 C) Most people I see use a 3MM but it all depends on your comfort level. I use a 3 MM year round but there have been a few times I wouldn't have minded a 5, if I had one. The other big factor is how many dives you plan. If you plan 4 dives a day you may be under water for 5 hours, you can easily lose core temp after a few days.

---------- Post added January 12th, 2015 at 07:25 PM ----------

The other handy thing to have this time of year is a lite weight wind breaker or boat coat, a little north wind can be brutal when you first get out of the water. Being last out and having the boat moving prior getting your wet suit off can get very chilly.

Stylish & fashionable! ls.png

(Sorry - been trying to resist for several days. Many good recommendations here. Enjoy your trip!)

Back
Top Bottom