First tank

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Helius

Reaction score
Hi ppl,

It's about time and I'm prepering to buy my first tank.
I know I want a steel 12L tank.
I know there are a few brand names in this area.
Who are they? I'll be happy to have their sites.

What should I check for, when I buy???

Btw: I don't think I'll but a new tank, but a second hand...

10x.

You will need to make sure it complies with the local regulations. You haven't said where you are and the rules are different around the world.

Faber seem to make the lightest steel tanks. This isn't really an issue in the water but makes a big difference on land.

If you are buying second hand then make sure it has been tested recently or you will have to get it tested yourself.

Look for rust (especially under the boot) and signs of abuse

Check it has the right valve. Again it depends where you are but in Europe the best one is a 232bar DIN convertible.

Finally the deals on second hand aren't always that great. It is very hit and miss. Sometimes you can find a cheap one but usually sellers have high expectaions but still manage to find a willing buyer. There are some great deals on new tanks on-line

Hi

It seems that you're in the UK asking for a 12 ltr.

Fabers are probably the most popular in the UK (even the 'own brands'). Buy new. There are loads of good deals.

All the newest ones are Din compatable (Just a large allen key required).

If you buy secondhand by the time you've tested and cleaned it (cos you don't know what it had in it last time cos it may have been contaminated with exhaust fumes etc) you've probably paid as much as a new one.

You'll usually get a handle but don't bother with a net. You'll need a boot for standing it up for filling (now I've started something!) but its up to you if you dive with it on or not. Some people do and some people don't.

Hope that helps

Would 232 Bar be enough or should I look for something else?

what are they used for? I mean the different types of pressures?

Hi

232 Bar is fine. You'll usually get around a 220 Bar fill (assuming normal practice of filling to 250 and then pressure loss due to cooling. Buying 300 bar cylinders requires a 300 Bar compatible DIN regulator (costs more and wears out quicker). DIN is mandatory and so if you haven't got DIN regs they will need converting. You also need to find a dive shop to fill it for you.

You may get about 250 to 270 bar from a fill depending on their compressor. (They usually fill to 300 and then you lose pressure as they cool) 300 Bar cylinders cost more and also wear out your regs quicker due to the high pressure.

If you feel you need more air get a 15 ltr instead. Less weight on your weightbelt.

Hope that helps

makes scuba tanks?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom