First Steel Tank - Single LP85 or HP80

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Used HP100s are almost impossible to find around here, and, if you do, they are the Faber HP100 (not Faber’s FX100), also referred to as the M Series. These have a completely different set of specs than the other 100s. First, they’re rated with a “+”, or you don’t get the extra 10% to get to 100 cf. Second, they are beasts both out of and in the water. Empty, they weight ~ 4.5 pounds more than the FX100. They have a full buoyancy of about -14.75, and an empty buoyancy of around -7.25. Third, they are top HEAVY, even underwater.
And this is why I typically use my LP85s and not my 100, even though @formernuke is spot on about fills.

Erik

I do not own any Fabers... I know they're a different animal. As said, mine are all Worthington or PST.

I'm not sure what the market like is up there, but all my tanks have been bought used from craigslist or FB market place.

Steel.100's come up very rarely up here

You've gotten good advice. Hp100's, get two of the same thing if you can swing it, different manufacturer's tank have different buoyancy characteristics, and finding used hp100's is challenging in today's market. Heck, even new hp100's have been out of stock frequently over the past year. Good luck.

I'm sure it's harder in some areas than others. I just did a search for scuba tanks and the 5th listing was HP100 doubles (PST) for $400. Not in hydro, but also listed obo. Located Buffalo NY.

That’s a great price, but I’m not sure it’s worth a 7 hour one way trip, at least not for me.

That’s a great price, but I’m not sure it’s worth a 7 hour one way trip, at least not for me.

7 hrs wouldn't be worth it, but my last tanks were 2 hrs, so 4 hrs round trip. It was a screaming deal so worth it to me.

I've driven mostly to NJ for tanks, but most scuba stuff that I buy used is at least an hr or more away. I just try to make the best of it, leave early, grab a cup of coffee and listen to a podcast.

I own 24 steel tanks, I've paid about $2500 for all of them (say $3000 for gas and hydro's added in). That includes 7 sets of doubles with manifolds and bands. It has definitely saved a ton of money to be patient and shop around.

7 hrs wouldn't be worth it, but my last tanks were 2 hrs, so 4 hrs round trip. It was a screaming deal so worth it to me.

I've driven mostly to NJ for tanks, but most scuba stuff that I buy used is at least an hr or more away. I just try to make the best of it, leave early, grab a cup of coffee and listen to a podcast.

I own 24 steel tanks, I've paid about $2500 for all of them (say $3000 for gas and hydro's added in). That includes 7 sets of doubles with manifolds and bands. It has definitely saved a ton of money to be patient and shop around.
Don’t get me wrong, I agree with you completely. 4 hour round trip is absolutely worth it. The only tank I’ve bought new is a pony that I needed for a class. Otherwise, all used. My point is that while you can still find some good used tanks in this are, used 100s are a very rare breed.

Don’t get me wrong, I agree with you completely. 4 hour round trip is absolutely worth it. The only tank I’ve bought new is a pony that I needed for a class. Otherwise, all used. My point is that while you can still find some good used tanks in this are, used 100s are a very rare breed.

To me the hunt is pretty great in and of itself.. knowing what you want, finding it, haggling over the price, and then going to get it... awesome. If they were everywhere it wouldn't be a challenge or fun (for me).

…or you could just be me and people give you the crap for free.
Free stuff from my LDS: 3 steel 72’s, one LP 85, one DAAM, and two full sets of MK5/109’s with 109 octos, SPG’s, and more…
I’ll shut up now.

OP, get the LP85.
Don’t bother with those stupid little HP80’s, they call them bowling balls.
And keep looking for a PST E7100, those are the best overall tank ever made IMO.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom